Racing abroad with a BC licence

mtbrider123
mtbrider123 Posts: 102
edited July 2017 in Road general
I currently have a British cycling licence and want to race in Italy but I don't know where I should be racing. In Italy there are amateurs and professionals, for example, U23 professionals. It says on my licence that I'm an U23 cat 3, should I be racing with amateurs (my age category) or professionals?

Thanks

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Do you race bicycles for a living or get paid to race part time? If not you are not a pro, IMO you should stick with the more than likely very very good amateurs.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I currently have a British cycling licence and want to race in Italy but I don't know where I should be racing. In Italy there are amateurs and professionals, for example, U23 professionals. It says on my licence that I'm an U23 cat 3, should I be racing with amateurs (my age category) or professionals?

Thanks
    Eh...your are a cat 3 racer. That isn't a pro. Why would you think you should race with the pros? Have a shot and see how you get on!! :D
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It'd be awesome if British 3rd Cat Amateurs can hang in there with Italian Pros - but I have a feeling you won't......
  • Disagree with the above comments. I watched a bit of the Giro on TV this year and it didn't look that hard.
    I'd go pro.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Can I watch your first race?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Unless you are planning on racing events like the Valle d'Aosta (which a few UK U23 pros are riding at the moment), then no, you are not a pro.

Also, see below from BC website:
    Racing abroad

It is a requirement of UCI that members of British Cycling obtain a letter of authority to race abroad. To qualify for a letter of authority, you must be in possession of a current Full Racing Licence. Requests should be sent with your membership number to membership@britishcycling.org.uk
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Disagree with the above comments. I watched a bit of the Giro on TV this year and it didn't look that hard.
    I'd go pro.

This