Selling Bald Patched tyres on Fleabay? Not sure i'd use it...

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited July 2017 in Commuting general
Digging on the flea of the bay, wasting time....

Anyway - came across these.

s-l1600.jpg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-used-Con ... SwjyxZc3PL

That's dead, right? Why on earth would you try and sell it?
Other than cutting it and using at as boots, I can't see any use for it, or am I going mad?

(reason I'm asking is I've got 2 GP4Ks II with patches like that in and I took them off the moment I saw that develop)
Are GP4Ks known for this?
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    A mate of mine bought a pair of gp4000s ~3 months ago, he typically does ~225 miles per week and already he had a flat spot on the tread and a nasty looking wear spot on the side which was bulging a fraction at ~90PSI, so he wrote it off.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I've never seen it mentioned as a recurrent problem whenever I've been researching tyres. I've got two sets of the 4KS2 with several thousand miles on that are still fine; I originally tried them on a recommendation from my cousin who rides 10,000km+/year and won't use anything else. I often contemplate changing but never find any convincing evidence anything else would suit my needs better.

Asking why you'd sell it, I can understand chancing it for a few quid. As to why you'd buy it, I have no idea... especially at the buy it now price of £30!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Some people use old tyres for planters, but usually big fat car/tractor tyres and they usually get them for free some somewhere.

I wouldn't ride on that tyre in the photo, although the listing is for two so the other might be worth £8.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Not convinced about them for the price when new - but very nice tyres all the same.

Regarding ebay - I have put strange things on ebay and had them snapped up, and good things and got no bites. I sold a dirty scratched no name stem with bolt missing for more than I had to pay for a very nice Ritchey replacement. If you are taking the time to sell one good thing - then whilst you are on the job it is worth doing photos, snaps of scales, cut'n'pastes of descriptions, ancient reviews etc of all your junk. Place the junk on later once good thing has sold (to avoid cluttering your items for sale screen) and as long as you are completely honest (to avoid returns and unpleasantness) you can often sell stuff that otherwise would hit bin.

People get nuts on ebay (and at real world auctions) - Trisportresort regularly sell stuff at a higher price than you need to pay on Wiggle - and they are the same company! Buyers get carried away and end up spending more on a returned item with no warranty plus postage costs than they could spend on same thing brand new, with warranty, AND HARIBO from Wiggle