Single Speed for the winter

Sylva
Sylva Posts: 3
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
I've decided on getting a single speed for winter club runs and the choice is between a Kona Paddy Wagon drop bars 2016 for £450 or a custom build bike for £2100.

I like the idea of the Kona but can't find a bike to try for size, looking at the geometry chart I fall between a 49 and 53 as I'm 5'7" tall with a 31" inseam. I ride a 53 Cube Attain.

Both the custom build and they Kona have their pluses but I need to know which size Kona I need - I'm thinking 53?

Thoughts?

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Re using one for club runs - if you will be riding with fellow single-speeders then this may well be fine but after my experience a few years ago I think it has drawbacks.
    It may well depend upon your group and the terrain but I found that when the roads were rolling it was ok but I recall one ride of maybe 60 miles over mixed terrain - nothing mountainous - and I found it hard work, harder than normal, staying with the fitter guys, and once we had turned for home and had a rolling 20 or so mile tailwind-assisted stretch I really struggled. Speeds were easily 30+mph for a good bit of the way and I verged on blowing up big time towards the end after such extended periods of high speed pedaling. Can't remember what my pedal speed for sure but probably 120+rpm which was beyond me for the periods required.
    Bike was a Trek single speed (running a freewheel not fixed) and for commuting I liked the simplicity but personally I'd not do group training rides on that type of bike again - I do know some guys that manage so it is do-able.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Fixed has been popular in our club in the past. The old guys can spin those gears ridiculously fast. But its a good idea for winter - less maintenance. Cheaper. Paying 1200 for it would be crackers though...
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    The last remaining small size https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV244116 might fit you.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • All depends on your ability in the group. Ride in 1 gear next time you are out and see how it feels. At least you can sample the gear size req`d to hang in.
    I ride fixed with a double sided rear hub for 2 different sprockets. Still never been bothered to swap it round ,its a grubby winter bike.
    Be mindful , your winter runs may be a bit steadier than these current summer spins.
  • Sylva
    Sylva Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies chaps.

Yes my group rides will be with others on a SS.

Still unsure of the Kona sizing though?
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    Both the 49 and 53 should fit from point of view of the saddle height, so bigger question is how they do for reach. Check that on the chart vs your current road setup, and you have your answer.

Or go for the small frame and a long stem for the pro-look 8)