Choosing between 3 bikes

solar93
solar93 Posts: 2
edited July 2017 in Commuting general
Hello all!

I'm new here so be nice. I currently have a full carbon Giant advanced defy 1 which I love, however i've just booked a cycling holiday with friends & have realised i cant really carry much luggage on it. (im not one to pack light).

So I am considering buying a hybrid for the 3 week trip to do circa 50 miles a day mostly flat, not worry as much if it gets nicked or damaged on the plane. Potentially selling it straight after the trip (I know in reality i'll end up keeping it).

I'm happy to buy used (unlikely to lose money selling it on) and have whittled it down to the following bikes:

Boardman hybrid team 2013 £300 barely used.

Boardman hybrid comp 2014 £300 barely used.

Boardman hybrid comp 2016 £400 brand spanking new. (end of line bike would probably want at least £300 for it or 350 if i'm lucky)

I think the hybrid team is probably the best bang for my buck, but wondered what the rest of you would do in this situation.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good easy sound choice.

As always you have a range of options from rack/guard protected (fitting bosses) touring bikes through to hybrids with wider tyres and even suspension.

The Boardman hybrid falls fairly near the middle, reasonably light, decent geometry and (should you decide to) easily sold on, the only word of caution is that they are a little limited on rear tyre size (32 is about the max) if you think you may want to dial in a bit more comfort.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.