Bike upgrade

easeotb4370
easeotb4370 Posts: 2
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi my name is easeotb4370 and I'm new to this forum. I'm just feeling my way through this forum. If I can get anyone to give me advice, I'll take it. Question. I just recently purchased a brand new 2017 Trek Marlin 5 27.5. I don't have a lot of money but I scrimped and saved to purchase my bike on layaway. I want to purchase something to kind of make my bike quicker maybe. What bike components would you recommend such as a new cassette and crank, tire and rim set to not only make it quicker but also to ad value. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing will add value, a new bike only looses it.

Not sure how good the OE Bontrager tyres are, but most factory fit tyres are pants, so a pair of decent tyres will grip and roll better and save weight, cost will be about £60 for a pair.

Other parts yo mention, don't replace until they wear out.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Riding lots will make you quicker.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Where are you riding and where do you want to go quicker - road, trails, fire roads, etc?

A new cassette and crank won't make the bike any quicker as your highest gear is already 42x12. You shouldn't spin out on that until around 38-40mph, maybe a bit faster.
    New tyres with a decent compound will help you go faster downhill through twisty stuff faster as the grip will be improved. However, as the bike is XC-orientated this shouldn't be a concern.

As CD says, if you want to go faster ride more and ride harder.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009