TT bike in Central London - why?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,099
edited July 2017 in Commuting chat
Seriously. Full lo-pro, carbon, DA+Zipps, skinsuit and teardrop helmet. Coming through Hyde Park Corner.

Why would you?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Going to the club 10 after work perhaps. See this quite regularly.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Strava
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Because it looks cool...
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    theres a TT at hillingdon tonight.

back when i could be arsed to pre-register for it i would regularly commute on my TT bike with a full disc and a trispoke. (skinsuit and tt helmet would be in my backpack though).

its really not that weird.

What skinsuit/bike was it?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Going for a bike fit? But reckon the TT after work is the most likely
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Going to the club 10 after work perhaps. See this quite regularly.

This .. I feel amazingly conscious when I ride through town on a massive full sus with tyres that suck the tarmac up, and full MTB gear because I am going out after work.

I now no longer look at other people with disgust on the chance that they are doing similar
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Going or coming back from somewhere? RP maybe?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Easiest way to get the bike somewhere innit ? I doubt its to commute.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What the others said - Wednesday is club TT night. I personally know of two local races this evening, but there'll be others for sure. Triantelopes might have Wednesday evening races too.

Biggest problem I had doing this is that, because even the base bars force you into quite a low position, was that my rucksack tended to slide "up" and bang me on the head, and I was always worried about things falling out of my pockets.

Does anyone still call them "lo-pro"s? Everyone I know just calls them "TT bikes"...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Fair game for SCR though ;)
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    a guy I chat to (James) and follow on Strava rides his Planet X cos it's the only bike he's got.

Fair play but when he gets on the aero bars on CS3 (the dodgy narrow part along Cable Street) it makes me wince and stay well back from him.
    FCN = 4
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    spasypaddy wrote:

back when i could be arsed to pre-register for it i would regularly commute on my TT bike with a full disc and a trispoke. (skinsuit and tt helmet would be in my backpack though).

Yep rode mine across London last night for that. Like you say though, pointy hat and skinsuit in backpack. Nothing hugely weird about it.

That said, I have witnessed somebody drafting a van about 3ft behind down chelsea embankment, in the extensions. Head case.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    whatleytom wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Yep rode mine across London last night for that. Like you say though, pointy hat and skinsuit in backpack. Nothing hugely weird about it.

That said, I have witnessed somebody drafting a van about 3ft behind down chelsea embankment, in the extensions. Head case.

I thought you were on a PX CX on embankment last night.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    Asprilla wrote:
    whatleytom wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

I thought you were on a PX CX on embankment last night.

Good spot, especially as I was incognito black kit. Bike swap at Putney for the rest of the journey.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    whatleytom wrote:
    Yep rode mine across London last night for that.
    You were annoyingly fast when you got there, too...
    whatleytom wrote:
    They would have had a fractionally better chance of swerving round the van than the nutters I've seen doing it on imaginary aero bars...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I think we've had "one of ours" through a car back window not so long ago - he knows who he is ;)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    OK, so it's probably not some loon who commutes like that

It's just a hill. Get over it.