Women's Cycling Numbers

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited July 2017 in Road general
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    It is but on my rides I see very few.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Motogull wrote:
    It is but on my rides I see very few.

Funnily enough - heading back through Cambridge in the rain this evening: 3 women roadies (in separate places) and only one man.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Yep, in Cambridge there is a large contingent of women roadies, in fact I have been on club rides where there have been more women than men.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Some days I see more women out than men...that's not spilling over to the race scene though.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    but how do they count that kind of number ? how do you measure if you as an organisation have "influenced *more* women to cycle since 2013".

Ive never been on Breeze Bike ride, and been a BC member for more than 10 years now, so Id presume in principle Im not counted as *more*, but Im more than sure Ive filled in a survey in the last 4 years that asked things like has attending such and such BC elite level event inspired/influenced you to cycle more, and probably responded firmly in the affirmative, and Ive probably filled something like that several times since 2013, so is that counted...more than once ?

its when you read the report that says the are 20,000 (I know incredibly round number but its what they quote) female members of BC, of which half of racing members at that, out of 135,000 in total, and true being a BC member doesnt equate to a measurement of "influenced to cycle" but it seems a wildly disparate number in comparison to 3/4qtrs of a million.

I see alot more women riding with their partners in groups of two these days for sure,so lot more couples riding, but then those numbers are completely swamped if the club ride goes past where its still at best 10 to 1 ratio men to women.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I used to work at an inner city girls comprehensive school in a deprived part of London. I spent ages trying to get BC to help me to encourage the girls to try cycling - didn't even get a reply to a single email.
  • johnnymcg259
    johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
    I live near Otley, West Yorkshire. and have been riding the roads around and about since the mid 1980's. Defo seen an increase in the last 5 years in female cyclists - all ages/abilities.
    Can only be good news, but yeah, not sure how they 'count' the increase?!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Otley/Ilkley always seems to have many more female cyclists (and families) than elsewhere when I've been through there. By comparison, although York is supposed to be a cycling-friendly city you see less female roadies out - although female commuters are common.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D