Given a P.O.S bike

jimi84
jimi84 Posts: 22
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
The bike is a P.O.S but it'll do for what I need as long as it is a viable option to put certain things right.
It has
suntour xtr forks (I think they had a lockout function, but it's broken) should I have them serviced or look for a cheap replacement?
Gears don't work but it's set as a 1x8 I think and I would like to keep it that way.
Front and back wheels both have at least 1 broken spoke and will need truing. (Repair or replace)?

I know there isn't a lot of info to help you all, but I'm pretty clueless on what could work and what couldn't. Also the frame is something called a "viper", Crappy thing but it's aluminium and really light.
If it's possible to put me on the right track then please do, if possible le I would like to do some of it myself wheel truing and repair (professional job) BUT.. I reckon I could tackle some stuff.
Thanks for now.

Comments

• jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    The question really is would it be cheaper to replace with something new? If it's as bad as you make out, probably.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • jimi84
    jimi84 Posts: 22
    The main issue I have is im skint, and it will take forever to get something new or half decent second hand.
    now don't get me wrong it looks bad to an untrained eye and it probably is but.. It may not be and it may not be that costly to put right.
    The bike is to mainly ride back and forth on the bk street with my son to encourage him to ride his bike and sooner rather than later get rid of the stabilisers. (He had a balance bike was good on it, got this bike got over faced and has no confidence to do away with them)
    But occasionally ill ride to my mother's ect.. so needs to be safe/ safe enough.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    If that's all you are using it for, then leave the forks, no lockout doesn't matter.

Wheels are probably repairable unless they are really bad. You could probably find a shop to do the wheels for £10/15 each if you shop around. Alternatively try yourself, it doesn't need to be 'knob on' so don't bother with a truing stand, use your brake blocks.

If your OK riding with one gear then that't you pretty much sorted. You could probably get the gears working pretty cheaply as long as you can diagnose the problem...start by looking at the condition and set up of the cables.