Carrera Virtuoso or B'Twin 500 SE

doomanic
doomanic Posts: 238
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm going to take the plunge and buy a cheap road bike. I'd prefer to buy new and have narrowed the choice down to the Virtuoso at £260 or the 500 SE for £250.

I know naff all about these skinny tyred things so would appreciate some help in choosing.

So far, the Virtuoso is in the lead for a few reasons;
1. Halfords is 5 minutes away and my local has some mechanics that know which end of a spanner to hold.
2. 5% quidco cashback.
3. I have enough cash in my quidco account to cover the cost and they offer a 10% giftcard bonus.

However, I can't find a recent press review of it.

The B'Twin has a good review from Road CC.

Comments

• doomanic
    Why suggest a 650 quid bike when my choices are significantly less than half that?
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Not sure if you've accounted for it or not, but British Cycling members get 10% discount at Halfords too if they flash their card.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • doomanic
    lastant wrote:
    Not sure if you've accounted for it or not, but British Cycling members get 10% discount at Halfords too if they flash their card.
    I am aware of that, but it'll cost me at least £22 to save £26, assuming the card comes quickly.
    oxoman wrote:
    The idea behind suggesting something better and possibly dearer is to highlight that sometimes it's worth saving a bit more if able. One thing you could possibly do is to start looking at the sales and wait a bit longer as the 2018 models are coming out and the discounts will start. You could also look at second hand if you feel comfortable that you know what your looking at, be wary of gumtree though. Also look at Merlin cycles website or paulscycles website for discounted bikes
    The Carrera is already discounted by £65 and I got mixed up on the B'Twin prices so the 500 SE is too expensive; if I can't use the "free" money in my quidco account I don't get senior management approval.

I've been looking at second hand, but finding something in budget and in good condition is proving difficult.

Also, I'm an impatient bugger and I can have the Carrera tomorrow...