Tubeless Wheels

steve1978
steve1978 Posts: 30
edited July 2017 in Cyclocross
Hi,

I have just ordered a Ribble CGR with the 105 hydrolic disc brakes. I have decided that would like to go with tubeless wheels and tyres.

I have contacted Ribble but they dont have any compatible wheels in stock and dont plan on getting any in. whilst looking around online they seem to be few and far between.

are any of you guys running tubless on your CX bikes? if so what are you using? the build is 1275 and I expect the current wheel set takes around 200 of that. if i could get a disc break tubeless set up for around 300 then i think the extra 100 is worth the investment.

can anyone make any recommendations?

Comments

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    DT Swiss R23's.

Hunt x Mason
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • steve1978
    Thanks mate, as a total noob to tubeless I am looking at the dirty Reiner and the battle on the beach for 2018.

What tyres go with these? From recommendations I would be looking at 40's max maybe 38. Would these take that size?
  • ryan_w-2
    They'd take anything up to around 40/42c.

I'm running 33c Schwalbes on my R23s. Will go wider once the weather deteriorates.

• Jterrier
    Jterrier Posts: 97
    The tire size is not to do with the wheels, its the clearamce inside the frame, i.e the gaps that the wheels leave and the amount of fresh air around them. Tubeless is a 100% no.brainer, especially if you are doing the reiver. I did it on tubeless wheels and had zero issues. Those using tubes spent half the day fixing flats.

As regards a set of wheels, i would say a wheelbuilder like strada is a better option as they will give you a better buying experience. From my experience, the best bang for your buck is a stans crest rim built onto a novatec hub.
  • ryan_w-2
    Jterrier wrote:
    The tire size is not to do with the wheels, its the clearamce inside the frame, i.e the gaps that the wheels leave and the amount of fresh air around them. Tubeless is a 100% no.brainer, especially if you are doing the reiver. I did it on tubeless wheels and had zero issues. Those using tubes spent half the day fixing flats.

As regards a set of wheels, i would say a wheelbuilder like strada is a better option as they will give you a better buying experience. From my experience, the best bang for your buck is a stans crest rim built onto a novatec hub.

Not entirely true.

There's a *** standard that outlines which internal width rim can 'safely' be run with X tyre.

Saying that, it's just a guidance note and many stick on whatever will fit.

I personally wouldn't run a 42c tyre on a 16mm internal width rim.

• steve1978
    Thanks for the tips. just need to purchase now! thanks again