Yet Another Tyre Suggestion Request- 28C 700 Commuter

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi.

Looking to buy a pair of 28c 700 all weather commuter tyres - budget £25 a pair preferable.

All road, but mostly rural with the associated gravel/mud patches of road debris.

I've just given my last GP4000S II 25 reflex to a friend, but I hate being spare less.

Any recommendations at present? Annoyed I missed out on getting some replacements in the halfrauds 20% off sale, and the GP4000s IIs reflexes are now £35 a pop including delivery.

Thanks in advance!
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If you can stretch to another £5, Panaracer Gavelking are available in 28c.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    DJ58 wrote:
    If you can stretch to another £5, Panaracer Gavelking are available in 28c.

Great tyres, as are the SK's, but they're about £60 a pair...

Can't go wrong with these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... d|462219UK
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Spend an extra fiver and buy some GP 4 Seasons:

http://www.shopto.net/cycling/continent ... wLEALw_wcB
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • stormsedge
    stormsedge Posts: 18
    GP4 Seasons are excellent.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Just to narrow the search, are you limited to tyres that measure up to a true 28mm, or can they be wider in reality?

For instance, I recently fitted a pair of 28mm Conti Grand Sport Race to my Wazoo's 29er wheelset, they measure ~31mm wide. Picked up an Ebay bargain, unused pair for £29 delivered a week or so before that Halfords flash sale, which made me not buy those GP 4000s!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Cheers all.
    I'm desperately trying to stick to the 25 budget as I've blown through my parts budget in the last few weeks with 2 new wheelsets and spare chains, and I wasn''t expecting to grab another tyre so soon :(

The GP 4 seasons I'm tempted with, all except the lack of reflecting sides, which to me sounds stupid for a tyre that is meant to be for winter riding.

I'm hard pressed to the 28C - I currently run GP4000sII on 25 and have minimal clearance around the mudguards, but know that the GP4ks come up large.

The durano might have to do, given the price, even if I only pick up one for the moment.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Anyone know if 30mm G-Ones come up small?

If they do, £16 http://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-g- ... 02379.html isn't bad, even though it's the wired version.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo