Buying new bike that is marked

Saldawop
Saldawop Posts: 64
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
Was looking to buy a new bike. They have one in store and looked and rode lovely. As I was about to drop £2000 down on the counter I noticed a mark on the top tube, very small but once I noticed it I now can't miss it. So I asked for a new one.... Unavailable. Phoned up the supplier to see if they could get one as they apparently have priority, but no go.
Offered me a £30 bottle cage and to replace the tape.

Am I being a bit daft? I feel as though I am, but then I remind myself that if it's costing me more than I have spent on some of my cars in the past.
The mark is tiny (couple of mm) and looks like an imperfection rather than from a ding. The mark is grey /white on a matte black me

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Entirely up to you. It's going to get chipped as soon as you ride it but you're not happy with the starting point.

Can you put a name sticker or something over the top ?

If it's an imperfection there's no guarantee that another one won't have it.

For me a bike is to ride. Not look at.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Take the freebies and ride the s**t out of it ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • The thing about it is all the marks/ scratches on my bikes have been done by me, any done by someone else its just not acceptable to ride.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Saldawop
    The thing about it is all the marks/ scratches on my bikes have been done by me, any done by someone else its just not acceptable to ride.

That's what I said to the bloke in the shop. If I take it out the door and scratch it before even riding it that's down to me BUT as the previous poster said, if it's an imperfection what's to say a box fresh bike wouldn't have the same problem (or worse). But I am kinda leaning towards Svettys way of thinking.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Go back and say you want it, and you'll take it, but you want a better deal. Then straight away suggest a price you'd want to pay and stick to it, see if they bite, if not walk away.

There are so many bikes out there, you'll be able to find another one, in fact I have heard they are mass produced in factories.
  • Saldawop
    mfin wrote:
    Go back and say you want it, and you'll take it, but you want a better deal. Then straight away suggest a price you'd want to pay and stick to it, see if they bite, if not walk away.

There are so many bikes out there, you'll be able to find another one, in fact I have heard they are mass produced in factories.

I don't believe that
  • Saldawop wrote:
    But I am kinda leaning towards Svettys way of thinking.

He's nuts
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    1) If thats really putting you off, you can't want the bike that much.
    2) As above, I don't think there is a single bike I haven't seen discounted at one time or another - retailers are obviously still making money with hefty discounts - drive a hard bargain.

There's lots of great discounted bikes out there and there will be more discounted 2017 models in the next month or two. You have the better hand at this time of year!
  • Has it got a crappy press fit bottom bracket?