Back wheel wobble is it the tyre or rim

CARETAKER46
CARETAKER46 Posts: 41
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All/ Mechanic,
My rear wall wobble and I suspect the tyre has not sat properly on the rim.

I have recorded 2 video to show you the rear tyre wobbles.

I was working at weekend on my bike service, the brake pads clean and the brake disc.Now no noise from braking on the wheel brake disc and at the same time taken of the rear wheel tyre off and applied washing up liquid to make the tyre fit on to the rim how it should, by lubricating.

It is much better, but there is slight wobble.

I tried the wheel without the tyre on the bike and turned the wheel and there was no wobble, so it must be the tyre 26x 3.0 which must of not sat on the rim and this is difficult to tell until you fit the tyre and rotate and see if it wobble or not

[url][/url]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErdVvzrqmhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8zO6G5oo0s

Comments

• See below link video, where you can see the Tyre has been improved and the Tyre wobble is Almost disappeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nPXf8G ... e=youtu.be
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is there a question?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi Cooldad,
    I had a problem of installing the Tyre, as i had a wobble and i thought it was the rim may be a problem, where you need to adjust the forks.

But i remember reading on the forum, it can be the Tyre if it does not fit on the rim properly and when you look at it physically it looks perfect, but soon as you put on the bike and rotate you can see it is wobbling.

However when i took the Tyre off and place the rim on the bike to see if i noticed any wobble, i could not see any wobble. This is without the Tyre.

This is why i put video link to show the Tyre wobbling and after reinstalling the Tyre with plenty fairy liquid to lubricate the tyre, so it can move it self, when i fill it with Air. The wobble has improve, as there is slight wobble.

I thought i upload this VIDEO and show it to you guys and see what you think is the improved one acceptable or not or do i still need to work on it, as there is still a Wobble, but not to extent to before change of the Tyre.

I was just concerned i do not want the rim wheel buckling or the pads rubbing due to wobble.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why would pads rub due to the wobble?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Looks straight enough to me.

If you are really concerned about the rim, get a bike shop to check it over, or just stick a pencil or a bit of wood to the frame on both sides, very close to the rim and spin the wheel and see if there's a wobble.

Sq4FpjZ.jpg

If that's ok, but the tyre wobbles, put almost maximum pressure in it, maybe 40psi or so. And bounce it around a bit, that should 'pop' the tyre into place and then use whatever pressure you would normally use.
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B0k9Yai4Bb8

I thought due to wobble the tyre wants to go all over the place and then damaged/wear out other components or wear out the tyre quickly .

Hi Mattyfez
    So you think the tyre looks straight , as I know it has improved from the 1st video and the last video you see very little wobble.

I did put maximum pressure and bounce the wheel about to get it the tyre bead in place and also applied soapy fairy liquid on the bead edge of the tyre and also on the rim, so the tyre is lubricated and it makes it easier for the tyres to sit on the rim with ease, when applying Air into the tyre.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I think you are worrying too much and overthinking this.

Just go out and ride the bike. Enjoy it and forget about the tyre.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

I was just concerned i do not want the rim wheel buckling or the pads rubbing due to wobble.

You buckle the wheel by hitting things. A bit of tyre wobble won't do anything.

Same with the pad rub. Ain't gonn happen.

Just go and ride.
  • Thanks Guys for your reply.

i will enjoy my bike ride and i am happy with the Tyre wobble improvement, as it better than before.

I would like to thank you everyone for their help and advice and reading through my comments..