Garmin Edge Touring

13»

Comments

• stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    And if you have a k-edge mount then you can replace the puck with a Wahoo one.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    TimothyW wrote:

There is a possibility that your computer has been scanning your garmin for errors and recovering lost file fragments - which helpfully it leaves in hidden folders. You'll need to tell your computer to show hidden and system folders to be able to see them (and delete them) they'll be called something like 'Found.000' - I do have three of them on my garmin although they're only using 200kb.

An update on this... I have used your method and discovered a hidden thrash folder with all my deleted activities and courses... a total of 2 Mbytes of files I thought I had permanently deleted.
    Gone now and plenty of space on the unit

Thanks, I owe you one :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    discovered a hidden thrash folder

No wonder you ran out of space, some of those songs are 8 minutes long!
  • ugo.santalucia
    munkster wrote:
    discovered a hidden thrash folder

No wonder you ran out of space, some of those songs are 8 minutes long!

Yeah, half the Slayer and Metallica catalogue was hidden there! :lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    WHat is wrong with the Lezyne... ??? massive battery, half the price!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-macro-cy ... igodigital
  • stevie63
    I believe you have to use a smartphone to push routes to the device which was something I thought you were looking to avoid.
  • ugo.santalucia
    stevie63 wrote:
    I believe you have to use a smartphone to push routes to the device which was something I thought you were looking to avoid.

Oh dear, you can't plug it to a PC? I thought you only needed a phone for turn by turn instructions
  • munkster
    edited July 2017
    Which device are we talking about there? On the Elemnt you just create the route in Strava or RideWithGPS and sync the device (on the device) and it puts it on there via wifi/magic.

One thing I don't like about the Elemnt is that you can't seem to delete routes off it once they're on there. I get the impression this is a "feature" that many object to and that there may be a fix for it in the future. It's fine if you don't create many routes but I have over 100 on there (storage space not an issue) and it's a bit unwieldy.
  • ugo.santalucia
    munkster wrote:
    Which device are we talking about there? On the Elemnt you just create the route in Strava or RideWithGPS and sync the device (on the device) and it puts it on there via wifi/magic.

One thing I don't like about the Elemnt is that you can't seem to delete routes off it once they're on there. I get the impression this is a "feature" that many object to and that there may be a fix for it in the future. It's fine if you don't create many routes but I have over 100 on there (storage space not an issues) and it's a bit unwieldy.

Moved on... we are talking Lezyne Super and Macro
  • stevie63
    stevie63 wrote:

Oh dear, you can't plug it to a PC? I thought you only needed a phone for turn by turn instructions
    Yeah, I've just checked the manual and whilst you use a computer for planning a route you get it onto the device by means of the Phone app.
  • ugo.santalucia
    stevie63 wrote:
    stevie63 wrote:

Yeah, I've just checked the manual and whilst you use a computer for planning a route you get it onto the device by means of the Phone app.

Junk... I suspect it's because it won't read GPX/TCX files but it needs special "Lezyne" files
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    munkster wrote:

One thing I don't like about the Elemnt is that you can't seem to delete routes off it once they're on there. I get the impression this is a "feature" that many object to and that there may be a fix for it in the future. It's fine if you don't create many routes but I have over 100 on there (storage space not an issue) and it's a bit unwieldy.

Save the gpx file download to a separate file on your computer, delete it from Ridewithgps and it should be removed from the Elemnt course list next time you update. If you want to use the route again, upload it from the file to Ridewithgps.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • munkster
    ...and with Strava? I don't really use RWGPS.

Scratch that - I just deleted some routes off Strava and they've now gone. I did have trouble getting rid of "starred" (don't know what they were called) routes on RWGPS and could only seem to lose them by disconnecting my accounts... Anyway, I'm more happy about it now that I can delete off from Strava although it would have been better if I could only sync those routes I have "starred" in Strava rather than all 100+ of them.
  • ugo.santalucia
    For future reference:

I have purchased an Anker 5000 charger and with an OTG cable it does charge my Garmin 200 without any issue, so I have basically resolved the two issues I had with that unit and I no longer need an upgrade.

I suspect the AA charger I was using unsuccessfully does not have enough voltage to charge a lithium ion battery... ultimately 2 AA produce 3 volt at best, most likely less, whereas an Anker is supposed to give out 4.8 volt or so. My understanding of lithium ion batteries (which is supposed to be quite thorough given I teach this stuff) is that you need more than 3 volt to convince a charged lithium ion to abandon a crystal of LiCoO2 and intercalate in between layers of carbon as a lithium atom