1st world dilema about broken bike

fat daddy
fat daddy Posts: 2,605
edited July 2017 in MTB general
I have a 2005 Commencal Meta 5.20

Last night the rear triangle cracked in half on one side at the pivot point :( .. I guess age related stress and a natural weak point of that bike

so questions, what do I do

(1) Spend the rest of my life looking for a replacement 5.20 rear triangle from 2005 ?
(2) Get it welded ... can this even be done ?
(3) Buy a new bike
(3.1) - I ride CwmCarn and trails at Ashton court in Bristol - odd excursion to Afan - so Full sus again or lighter hardtail
(3.1a) - if full sus, I don't want to spend that much money I only MTB a few times a month so is there any better deal to be had than the Boardman fs team ? @ £1k

please heeeeeeeelp

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    (1) yes
    (2) maybe
    (3) yes
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Check out the Marin Hawk Hill for a sub £1k full suss. :) It's price fluctuates a bit, but there's a link below.

http://www.cyclesuk.com/en/gb/Marin-Haw ... sUQAvD_BwE
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • fat daddy
    good call .... I borrowed a mates Marin back in the 90's .... I have always lusted after 1 .. and its 1x10 ... I do prefer both my 1x conversions on bikes I have
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Give up biking and get a pair of knitting needles a boxed set of Dr Who series and a butt plug.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • fat daddy
    FishFish wrote:
    Give up biking and get a pair of knitting needles a boxed set of Dr Who series and a butt plug.

Oh, I never considered there was another option ...... so you think I should start riding a 29inch MTB ????
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    fat daddy wrote:
    good call .... I borrowed a mates Marin back in the 90's .... I have always lusted after 1 .. and its 1x10 ... I do prefer both my 1x conversions on bikes I have

I had a demo on one earlier this year. Was great fun, a very good bike. But at the time I couldn't get one for less than £1350 and I could get the Boardman Pro FS for £1200, so it was a no brainer really. At under £1k it would have made the decision harder.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Marin's back then were designed by Jon Whyte of whyte bikes now,not sure if they still are,They were great bikes of the time,as for welding don't bother with it being an Ali frame it will pull out of shape and get stressed with the heat
  • jb72
    jb72 Posts: 12
    Calibre Bossnut V2 £999
  • My 10 year old Specialized broke a rear linkage after 14,500 miles. I found a good TIG welder who fixed it for £50. I rode it for another 1500 miles until I had the money for a new bike. The weld is still fine.