Final tour mark: result

2»

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I prefer Eurosport to ITVs coverage too.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Well I for one wants Tour de Rick
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    So it's why people would like to see people who have trained hard and made sacrifices are given the best opportunity to compete according to their merits rather than befall misfortune to give some sociopath City boy a few minutes of gratification

[/quote]

Wow. Just wow.

If you want certainty, watch track.

Moments like Stephen Roche at La Plagne or Thierry Marie's epic 1991 breakaway would not have happened with radios.

Why not ban radios for a less important race (the Vuelta?) and see what happens?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Timoid. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    So it's why people would like to see people who have trained hard and made sacrifices are given the best opportunity to compete according to their merits rather than befall misfortune to give some sociopath City boy a few minutes of gratification

Wow. Just wow.

If you want certainty, watch track.

Moments like Stephen Roche at La Plagne or Thierry Marie's epic 1991 breakaway would not have happened with radios.

Why not ban radios for a less important race (the Vuelta?) and see what happens?

Happened in non WT races.

I gave my views on Het volk that year here:

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12765645&p=16835746&hilit=radios#p16835746

and here: viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13007764&p=19341964&hilit=radios#p19341964
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

Crikey you and Rich have been fighting about this for years.

Would still like to see the effect on a stage race. If not Vuelta, maybe a lesser light like Romandy?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    Happened in Tour of Britain IIRC.

Not much change; more stress with mechanical; the mechanics just had to be on it a bit more.

Oh and continental riders kept stopping on the right, not the left ;-). Still happens.
  • rick_chasey
    Nierman wasn't impressed when they tried to ban them back in the day.

Grischa+Niermann+Tour+de+France+2009+Stage+2A8lsXjjV13l.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    Well I for one wants Tour de Rick

You saw my world champs course right? :D

https://www.strava.com/routes/2282396

10 laps
    25.4km, 655m elevation per lap.

so 6,500m of climbing over 254km.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I wonder what Phillipa York's view on radios is.

I don't want to prejudge her answer, but we're still awaiting her carrier pigeon.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    ^She did mention it on ITV4. I think her thoughts were emergencies and safety only, also no ban on powermeters as they are just informative.