Just one do it all bike

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi
So looking for a replacement do it all bike mainly for a short (5 mile each way) commute, 1st mile with kiddy trailer (attaching to rear axle) mainly on road but want ability to ride anywhere country parks etc needs to stand up to being bashed and dropped etc so I think I've ruled out carbon. As year round needs to stand up to elements wide tires (including snow studs) to take rack and guards, hydo discs, ideally internal cabling and at least Shimano 105 or equivalent ideally next groupset up;

After much searching so far, the closest I've found are;

Trek crossrip 3 - (I currently have a Trek same Alpha 3 series alu frame) main issue is tire width only goes upto 32C/35C so wouldn't fit snow spikes/studs well within ideal budget at aprox £1500

Specialized Diverge E5 Comp - In budget at £1500, the E5 has Alu frame but mechanical discs, whereas the comp carbon is £1000 more which be ok and has hydro disc breaks - It's just the carbon puts me off and to "upgrade" the alu E5 to Hydro doesn't make sense cost effective wise.

For £2500 I could also get a titanium frame bike such as;

Planet X Tempest - but this also comes with mechanical disk brakes and only has clearance for 32mm tire with guards on (38mm without guards) so again can't fi snow/ice spikes- I could at least buy the frame/fork and do a bike build myself for a total of about £3200/£3500 - This would include Huthinson wheels with a front Dynamo SonDelux hub and the new Shimano 8020 groupset - just not sure on the frame quality and would need someone to build it for me.

I've also just seen Lynskey GR250 Ultegra 2017 Titanium Gravel Bike - The only issues are price, can I justify to myself spending £3500 on a bike for a 10 mile a day ride? Older Ultegra 6800 groupset again for this kindof money would want the 8020 (I could buy frame fork and build 8020 onto it but guess this be even more expensive way to do it) and external cable routing

Hmm which one and how much should I be looking to speed (little as possible but want a decent spec bike)
Any advice welcome!
Thanks

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Sorry, is your intended use for this a 5 mile commute? Only, the cheapest bike you've mentioned is £1500.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    £2.5k to £3.5k for a 5 mile commute?

Maybe I'm just poor, but that sounds crazy.

A decent light mountain bike would cost a fraction of that, and you could even have some fun on it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The Boardman CX Team at £1k with 1x SRAM Rival hydraulics looks like it would be great for this purpose.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    cooldad wrote:
    £2.5k to £3.5k for a 5 mile commute?

Maybe I'm just poor, but that sounds crazy.

A decent light mountain bike would cost a fraction of that, and you could even have some fun on it.

if he does the commute every single day it's 50 miles (4 hours riding?) a week, 2600 miles a year. I know people with 5-6k bikes that don't cover anywhere near that mileage and likewise I know people who do maybe double that mileage at a push and own 4 bikes. If you can afford it without any sacrifices AND you are going to use it then I say spend away!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    The Boardman CX Team at £1k with 1x SRAM Rival hydraulics looks like it would be great for this purpose.

I was thinking exactly the same thing
  • andyh01
    Thanks - The primary purposes is the commute, yes as well as other stuff family rides etc I managed the other week with some time off to go on a 50 mile ride and would like to do more on the bike time permitting (have 2 young kids) I want something that will last. Yes I commute everyday for 5 days a week and have done for a number of years on the current bike. I prefer drop bars to flat but yes, want to be able to have fun and ride anywhere, hence the type of bikes I've been looking at, as I also want something "better" then my current spec 105 rim brakes I''m looking at Ultegra and hydro brakes (not mechanical discs) and the cheapest I've seen with that kind of spec is the Trek and I wanted something a bit different to what I have.
    I do agree and this is the issue I have spending £3.5k on a bike seems a lot. Bus fare is £16 week pass say 50 working weeks £800 for year. So it'll take about 3 1/2 yrs before broke even. Car be less obviously as additional costs of petrol, insurance and emissions tax.
    I was knocked off by a car a few yrs ago and have the claim settled for a total of aprox 10k for damage and injury, which I'd be using to get this replacement bike, that be once in a life time opportunity I suppose and its what, 1/3rd of the payout .... or I could get a cheaper bike that I'll have to "live with" and have the rest in the bank...

Re Boardman - Just not sure about the 1x SRAm I know it's down to the ratios but surly better chance of finding the right gear when you have 22 in a tight-ish ratio, opposed to 11 gear wide cassette but I like the idea of simplicity of the 1x esp when cable stretch sets in etc. Also whats the tire clearance on it like?
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Cannondale Synapse.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    Hand made steel by any of a number of builders.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I have Lynskey pro cross from a few years back and it would be perfect bike for me if it had disc brake and mudguard mounts. It is comfortable, good looking and relatively light. Nice clearances. I looked at recent versions, but they went astray with twisted tube shapes and PF bottom brackets.
    They do GR version, that would take your ridiculous wheels with ice spikers.
  • andyh01
    Steel - main concern is weight not that I should be bothered by it; been looking at genesis croc de fer also tire clearance and external routing. Not sure if custom build is best way to go compared to value of an off the peg - if I can find one meeting most of my requirements.

Yes Lynskey GR250 is one I've seen. BSA threaded BB clearence upto 700cx 42 will also take 650b and wider tire with reduced clearance then specd. ONly downside is post mount for disc opposed to flat...
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Are you sure that a drop bar bike is what you need?
    I do similar riding to you and use a rigid 27.5+ bike. Going for wide tyres may be easier if you look at a 1x drive train.
    Options for drop bar would be....
    1. Salsa Fargo 27.5+, expensive but awesome bikes. 3" tyres, 32 front and 11-42 cassette.
    2. Pinnacle Arkose Ltd, 700 x 45 tyres, well respected bike in the bike packing community. 1x gearing and an 11-46 cassette.
    3. Shand Stoater or Stooshie. These are generally Shimano 105 and Ultegra. Base bike comes with 35mm tyres but if interested you can contact them and see what the widest tyres they will take, pretty sure you get close to 40mm tyres but worth contacting them.
    4. Mason Bokeh 650B, 1 x gearing and takes 50mm tyres.
    5. Trek 920. Off-Road Touring bike. Can take 2.25" tyres comes standard with 2".

Rigid flat bar 27.5+ if it was an option would save you an awful lot of money. Not as quick on the road, but for a 5 mile commute does it matter? My commute is 2 miles, I make it 4 or 5 each way by going off road and having some fun.
    Mine is a Marin Pine Mountain, dirt cheap but really is loads of fun. I call it my apocalypse bike, very dependable. I've done lots of 40 mile road / off-road rides on this not a problem, not quick but that the point of these bikes, they can do what ever you chuck at them and do it well. My Marin was £500 new, hydraulic brakes, 1x10 gearing with 10/42 cassette.
  • andyh01
    Prime purpose is the commute on roads quickest/shortest way in - As I do the school run in the morning drop off is at 8:50 (sometimes we're late) and I start work at 09:30 so I have 1/2 hr to get to work lock bike up, shower/change and get to desk by 09:30..
    I've looked at the Pinnacle Arkose 4 only issue is tire width at 35-38mm. The LTD is 1xDi2
    Shand - thanks not heard of them before, the ultegra comes in at £2880 for a steel frame - guess ? is which fram and material is the best option
    Mason Bokeh - I'm struggling with the value - I do get some of it, hand built in small numbers in Italy, hand painted & R&D that's gone into it etc but economic of scale, mass produced off the peg brings costs down, maybe affecting the quality a bit. Will I really notice the detailed paint job once been ridden a few times? With some mud, grime and a few scratches from being dropped etc? Similar price to ti bike... Supply and Demand - mass produced with high demand with enough supply to keep pace or exceed demand prices drop, whereas if high demand, as decent spec meeting requirements of users, but keep supply to a controlled minimum, then can hold/increase cost for the buyer...
  • w00dster
    The Pinnacle Arkose can take 700 x 45c, from their site.....
    Extra Features:-
    Tyre clearance for up to 700 x 45c with full mudguard and rack mounts

I know guys in the bikepacking community who run the Arkose with at least 40c tyres.
  • andyh01
    Doh just doubled checked the Pinnacle Arkose - you're right - I was looking at the supplied tyre bit.
    "Extra Features
    Tyre clearance for up to 700 x 45c with full mudguard and rack mounts"

Although according to the Q&As;
    "What's the maximum tyre width that the bike can take with full mudguards?
    depending on tyre tread and to keep 10mm gap they'd recommend 45mm guard with 35-38mm tyres....
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The Boardman CX Team will take up to a 45c, I've put wider rims on mine and my 40c Nano's measure 42mm with good clearance.

I've never had a problem with the gear ratios either.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • w00dster
    Robert without being rude, have you taken your bike off road carrying or towing equipment? A compact gear set up is fine for road, but add in towing I would much prefer a 1x with a wide range cassette.
    As a very regular rider off road carrying equipment I know what I would prefer to use when towing and it certainly isn't a 34 x 28. A 10-42 cassette is awesome. (Ive used cross bikes for years before adventure bikes became adventure bikes and the gearing is fine for roads or blasting around a muddy field)
    There will be very few drop bar bikes that can fit 45mm tyres and full guards.
    The Salsa will, kona sutra could be worth a look. But can't remember if that is mech or hydraulic braking.
    The boardman is a decent bike, but i would be looking at their 1x version as well.
    Another option could be the sonder camino, comes in al and ti frame. With 650b wheels takes 48mm tyres.
    Review here....
    http://grit.cx/reviews/rated-sonder-cam ... am-force-1
  • andyh01
    Hi w00dster I guess you meant to ask if I as OP ever gone off rd fully loaded as Robert also suggest he's never had an issue with the 1X ratios.

No I haven't really any experience (on any terrain) of using a 1X nor have I experienced different frame material such as steel/cf/Ti only Alu or wider tyres, I've only used 700x23/25 I do have a tandem we use with 700x28s.

I guess I was put off as used to have mtb to start with fat dumpy wheels triple 8 speed slow heavy and hard work, then went to a cheap hybrid flat bar rapid fire levers, triple and 9 speed, both of which for the main purpose of the bike ie commute, even when towing the kiddy trailer for the first mile the gearing just didn't suit, I swapped out the rear cassette on the hybrid and this helped a little but also need swap the front rings but couldn't. I then got my Trek discounted as last one end of line got a good deal and despite wanting a standard it's actually a compact, again when the supplied rear cassette had ran out I replaced it with a 11-28 and it seems for my use fine I can spin up the hills lacks a little top end down a few hills but so small short space of time not really been bothered about it. The other week when I went for a ride I ended up at Beacon hill Leicester which is second highest on one of the hottest days carrying 4 ltr water in the rear pannier and even traversing the steep incline hard gravel path 1/2 way up I had to push.
    Realistically am I likely to do prolong period of bikepacking - no, just towing the kid as I say I have a camper anyway so would use this then ride around local areas and come bk to the van when on hols. As much as I would love to eventually do coast 2 coast self sufficient or Leicester to skeggy and bk in maybe two days I just take a small light weight tent and a change on clothes in the rear panniers.

Like I say have no real world experience of using 1x and do like the simplicity for durability and maintenance advantage but just can't get over the fact be dropping 10 gears, most of the riding is on the road/paved paths and sometimes I just need to change by one or two teeth. Hence why not really looked at 1X also they seem to be more on cycleX bikes higher bb/chainring opposed to open road/gravel type geometry. I'm also unsure on SRAM double tap thingy but again never used/experienced it...

The Kona max is 45c SRAM Rival 1 11 spd.
    sonder camino frame is £1K similar to the PX Tempest the Lynxsky is £800 more but includes fork and headset. They say spend more on frame as components are replaced over time but just don't know... it is a lot for what is it and I could get a car for a lot less
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    fat daddy wrote:

I was thinking exactly the same thing

And me...
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Another vote for the CX team.The 1x gearing is all you need and the hydro brakes are top notch,one finger braking on the hoods is so nice.I have the 1x on Trek Domane as well and had no problems doing Hardknotts and Wrynose passes last month.After a few minutes you don't notice the gear jumps either spin a little more or push a little harder.Just done 5 days with mates around York about 60 miles a day and no problems leading them when it was my turn on the front. I am not bothered about down hill speed so the 1x ratios equivalent of about 12/13 -32 is fine.Downhills are for free wheeling!
    Can use uk cycling or British cycling membership to get 10% at Halfords also so worth joining.Check the sizing as the smallest 50 is a 54 top tube as they size on seat tube.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    robertpb wrote:
    The Boardman CX Team will take up to a 45c, I've put wider rims on mine and my 40c Nano's measure 42mm with good clearance.

Is that 45mm front and rear?

When I test rode a CX Team on a turbo trainer in-store a few months back before buying the Cube, there didn't really look like much clearance for anything wider than the supplied CX tyres and still leave ~5mm+ clearance each side.

For £720, when the CX Team is on promo to £800 and then BC discount, the spec is great. But my test ride was the first time trying Sram Double-tap levers, so I don't know if it was the system or the PDI setup in-store, but I found switching to the easier gear I wanted to simulate reaching a hill an absolute nightmare... The rear mech more often that not switched too few or too many gears compared to what I randomly decided I wanted to do.

It also shocked me when I looked into drivetrain consumables, the XD driver Sram cassette replacement for the CX Team is ~£80 last time I looked, while the 105 11-32 for my Cube is currently £30 at Wiggle.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    ^the 105 cassette will work on the cx team though
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    ovi wrote:
    ^the 105 cassette will work on the cx team though

With the Rival shifters and rear mech?

If so, consider this as my one bike related thing learnt today, I thought XD freehubs only worked with XD cassettes and that meant it had to be SRAM.

Keeping up with technology, standards and compatibility is a nightmare! :?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ryan_w-2
    SRAM and Shimano 11sp cassettes and fully interchangeable, use the same freehub.

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Ryan_W wrote:
    SRAM and Shimano 11sp cassettes and fully interchangeable, use the same freehub.
    This is not (always) correct.

SRAM and Shimano ROAD 11 speed cassettes are interchangeable.

SRAM XD free hub is an entirely different design, and Shimano cassettes will not fit. See this article.

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/mtb/gear/article/sram-xd-driver-body-explained-44409/
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ryan_w-2
    :roll:

Are we not in a road cycling section of the forum?...

Lets not confuse the matter with sh!tty MTB chat.

• Wheelspinner
    Ryan_W wrote:
    :roll:

Are we not in a road cycling section of the forum?...

Lets not confuse the matter with sh!tty MTB chat.
    Wow, aren't you the comprehension genius then.

Yeah we are in the road section. Perhaps if you paid attention and read what was being discussed above you might be able to offer something useful instead of wrong information.

The discussion above refers to the Boardman CX Team as the recommended bike. The specification on that bike is using SRAM Rival 1*11 gearing, including - according to the Boardman website - an XG-1150 cassette, with a 10-42 tooth configuration. Here's a link. Took me 10 second to find it. But don't you worry about facts or research when offering your advice. Why let that get in the way of your encyclopaedic knowledge, eh?

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/845-cx-team.html#technical

The other posters above appear to have realised that means it is an XD driver. And that Mr Smarty Pants rolling eyes Wizard means it does not fit Shimano 11 speed cassettes. Whether its in the Road Section of the forum or not.

Do some research first you fool before slagging off people trying to actually be helpful and correct your lazy and wrong information.
  • ryan_w-2
    It's people like you that make me appreciate life. Thanks for brightening my Friday.

• Wheelspinner
    You're welcome.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    Ryan_W wrote:
    This is not (always) correct.

SRAM and Shimano ROAD 11 speed cassettes are interchangeable.

SRAM XD free hub is an entirely different design, and Shimano cassettes will not fit. See this article.

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/mtb/gear/article/sram-xd-driver-body-explained-44409/

Everyday is a school day :D
  • Even if the 105 cassette did fit, replacing a 10-42 with an 11-32 is a pretty drastic change in gearing, no? Never ridden cyclocross but been looking at a few of these bikes as a winter/commuter/light off-road option, and don't really "get" the 1x thing. In terms of the Boardman range it seems weird the cx team has it when the next up the range (cxr 9.0?) has a more versatile 2x gearing arrangement.