Strava Female Year All Time

Frank Wilson
Frank Wilson Posts: 930
edited July 2017 in Road general
On the app version we now have All Time Female and This Year Female. If you are male and have specified so I these will always be empty. Surely the clever people that write these programs could preclude it from male Strava users.

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2017
    Just because your data doesn't appear in the female lists doesn't mean you might not wish to view them
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Frank Wilson
    Svetty wrote:
    Just because your date doesn't appear in the female lists doesn't mean you might not wish to view them

Yes it begs the question why not an all-time, this year male only as I am sure that would be of more interest than blank female rankings which is what you get if you are male.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Why not send Strava a note with your request? Talking about it here won't change it.
  • Svetty wrote:
    Just because your date doesn't appear in the female lists doesn't mean you might not wish to view them

Yes it begs the question why not an all-time, this year male only as I am sure that would be of more interest than blank female rankings which is what you get if you are male.

I'm not against the women's leaderboards before anyone starts ranting bigot or chauvinist at me. But as pointed out why should it not be able to be hidden? I am more bothered at the fact I have a few groups I am in so now my list is even longer with leaderboards I have zero interest in. It doesn't matter how fast or slow I go I will never appear in these so why do I have to see them? It is all good trying to make such things equal and accessible to all but this does not. Equal rights I am all for but not when it's rammed down your throat. I have mentioned this to Strava as well as a few other things I would prefer to see on the app like more info on the power info you get on pic but not on the app. Bit annoying in 2017 where more people go online through mobile devices than actual laptops etc.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Lol. Rammed down your throat. Sounds like your annoyed that the girls are faster than you?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    cougie wrote:
    Sounds like your annoyed that the girls are faster than you?

I like the Female leader board addition ... mostly because a lot of the ladies I ride with ARE faster than me and I can now set my sights and segments on what they are doing !

that said though I totally agree with Frank ... if you don't appear in that demographic, why have it in your feed, its of no use to training, competing etc ... Why stop there .... lets have a Afro-Caribean leaderboard .. I wont appear on it, but its important to separate their times and show them to me :?

there should be an opt-in/out setting
  • Are people actually this obsessed with strava
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Frank Wilson
    Are people actually this obsessed with strava

Not really, my original point really was about overloading people with information they do not need and serves no purpose to the recipient, just so happens the example was Strava, could be any computer program really.

When we are told in this day and age this that and the other can be programmed into a computer surely a program writer could make it that if the user has ticked "Male" in his profile for the default showing to be all time male and vice versa if you have ticked "Female"

Maybe I am being too simplistic but a forever blank all time and this year female are of no use to a male and just make the screen more cluttered as someone has previously pointed out. It just appears, to this writer, that companies, not just Strava, are constantly seeking to update things "just for the sake of doing it"

If not broken etc.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    But its not of no use is it ? I'm male and its interesting to see how many women have kicked my ass.
    Feel free to skip your eyes over it if it offends you though - but I really cant see the drama.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Are people actually this obsessed with strava

Not obsessed, but I use it every day, and a bit of screen is now used to link to something I will never look at. I don't think anyone is saying it's the end of the world, just a bit strange.

It is telling me on one segment I am 10th overall, 41st this year, 5th today and 1st among people I'm following, 20th among my age group and 2nd among my weight group (all of diminishing levels of very vague interest), and there is now also a click through so I can see how fast women have done it. I don't care whether the people who are faster or slower than me are male or female (or identify as neither).
  • Fenix wrote:
    But its not of no use is it ? I'm male and its interesting to see how many women have kicked my ass.
    Feel free to skip your eyes over it if it offends you though - but I really cant see the drama.

They would still appear in the main leaderboards. And if that's what you or others find useful then fair game. To me it adds nothing. I don't know any of the females riding near me except those who are in the groups I'm a member of anyway so this has nothing of use to me. I don't read them. I would only ask for the ability to hide them and any other leaderboards O have no interest in. It's nothing to do with sex. Why not separate groups by age or race or religion? Starts getting silly after a while.
  • fat daddy
    Fenix wrote:
    But its not of no use is it ? .

you do know there are other people than you don't you ??? :mrgreen: It is of no use to you if you don't have a reason to view it .... hence having the option to turn it off.

"Female leaderboard" is no different to other groups that you can "choose" to follow ... if strava suddenly started putting random groups in your list that you didn't appear in it would have no use to you ?

you have a use for it .... as do I ... so we would keep it, or even choose it if was a normal group ... but not everyone does, so it should be an option ... a bit like the "I ride specialized group" or the "Its all about me" group ... other than the latter you wouldn't want them in your feed for no reason
  • Frank Wilson
    I think all the protesters are missing the point

If you are not female it shows nothing, zilch, nada i.e. the lists are not populated, they are empty, they are blank leader boards with nothing in them, there is nothing to read, they are taking up space but offering nothing!

Hopefully that clears up the point!
  • fat daddy

If you are not female it shows nothing, zilch, nada i.e. the lists are not populated, they are empty, they are blank leader boards with nothing in them, there is nothing to read, they are taking up space but offering nothing!

not really ... on mine they ARE populated, I am just not in them as I have a Willy ..... but if you click on them, they are populated on mine (iphone app)
  • fat daddy wrote:

not really ... on mine they ARE populated, I am just not in them as I have a Willy ..... but if you click on them, they are populated on mine (iphone app)

Same as mine. There are people in there. Do I know any of them? No! Do I appear in that list? No! Can I think of more useful things to put on the app? Loads of things. As I mentioned before, how about making the data from the users of premium accounts more informative. My power data I have to boot up my laptop to read. I don't want to have to keep doing that when I use my phone and iPad more. Thing is, female riders would still of seen how they sat in the leaderboards before this update just not necessarily the top 10s . Again if you don't know these people then what is it bringing?
  • Frank Wilson
    fat daddy wrote:

I apologise then Fat Daddy, obviously an Iphone app works better than an Android one as on mine they are all blank.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    I apologise then Fat Daddy, obviously an Iphone app works better than an Android one as on mine they are all blank.

Shows on my Android. There is no number next to them to show my position (because I am not in that list), but if I click on it, it brings the female leaderboard for the segment.
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242

Shows on my Android. There is no number next to them to show my position (because I am not in that list), but if I click on it, it brings the female leaderboard for the segment.

Populated for me on Android too. Maybe reinstall the app, or clear the cache?