Disappointments of the tour 2017

2»

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Alright I'm just gonna say it.

Thomas de Gendt.

Come on mate; you've got double the talent of Voeckler or Voigt. At least finish one of the bloody breaks off.

Yep. Spent over 1000km in breaks and nothing to show for it. Strong rider but needs some serious tactical nous.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Kittel not getting the chance to do one of those amazing finishes on the Champs
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Greipel.

I would stretch that out to Lotto/Soudal as a whole.

Wellens got sick and went home rather that TUEing (which is very noble), Roelandts didn't get in the right break, De Gendt did but never looked like winning one and you could see Gallopin was just a click or two away from top form.
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    Why is the live data/screen overlay in the final TT still terrible? Genuine chance for some informative graphics to try and add to the excitement and they faill every year.
  • professeur
    professeur Posts: 232
    Got to agree with the assessment on the French crowd. I'm not sure if it is because they dislike Froome in particular, SKY (probably), the English in general or if, this year, it is a reaction to Brexit. Whatever their issue is, it is poor form. It has traditionally been a feature of the sport that fans respect all riders, regardless of who your favourite rider is. You cheer for your favourite the loudest. Another cycling tradition that is slowly dying off.

DD.

You know the French crowd boo'd Armstrong, Anquetil, Hinault, Merckx in the past too, right?

They like booing, and they don't confine irrational partisanship to ball sports.

After all, the Tour's a circus.

Exactamundo - sorry, but I don't know why anyone gets over-excited by a bit of booing.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    For me it's how everytime Contador attack loads of people seemed to get a jones about it. It wasn't exciting, it was borderline tragic.

This. Contador needs to give it up.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Cav and Sagan both going home early.

Quintana, nuff said.

Not catching Kwiato's Oakley's when he chucked them.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    On a personal level, arguing that Froome signalled for assistance after Aru attacked, having not watched the highlight clip to the end was a low point.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    Disappointed for De Gendt..how does a guy spend over a 1000kms in breakaways and NOT win the super combative title?
    Oh Sorry, I just realised they gave it to a frenchman..who let's be fair deserved the KOM, but he already had a title..Dg could have been given the SC and I don't think Barguil would have been pissed off would he?
    DeGendt was in most of the "boring" stage breakaways and to give him nothing looks a bit poor in my opinion..also, and I have watched cycling for a long time..can anyone answer me this....why was Landa not allowed to attack Bardet's 1 second lead to get on the podium?
    I get not attacking the yellow, albeit that is not cast in stone, I'm sure I saw Fignon do it some years ago, the "procession" only really came about when they started finishing on the Champs..or have I got it wrong...I'm sure Hinault did it to Lemond too, or the other way round...I await being shot down!!!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Disappointed for De Gendt..how does a guy spend over a 1000kms in breakaways and NOT win the super combative title?
    Oh Sorry, I just realised they gave it to a frenchman..who let's be fair deserved the KOM, but he already had a title..Dg could have been given the SC and I don't think Barguil would have been pissed off would he?
    DeGendt was in most of the "boring" stage breakaways and to give him nothing looks a bit poor in my opinion..also, and I have watched cycling for a long time..can anyone answer me this....why was Landa not allowed to attack Bardet's 1 second lead to get on the podium?
    I get not attacking the yellow, albeit that is not cast in stone, I'm sure I saw Fignon do it some years ago, the "procession" only really came about when they started finishing on the Champs..or have I got it wrong...I'm sure Hinault did it to Lemond too, or the other way round...I await being shot down!!!

In fairness, if you only watched the highlights (like I did, bar a couple of stages), you won't have seen much of TdG at all; I saw a lot more of Barguil than I did TdG.
  • timoid.

Hinault attacked on the last day for giggles and Zoetemelk went with him. Cue surreal 2 man breakaway that somehow made it to the end. Hinault of course won the two man sprint.

Vino grabbed some bonus seconds from Leipheimer when he won the final stage in 2005 and thus nicked 5th place (I think) Leipheimer was doubly miffed as the organisers had previously said that due to slippery conditions, bonus seconds would not apply.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Got to agree with the assessment on the French crowd. I'm not sure if it is because they dislike Froome in particular, SKY (probably), the English in general or if, this year, it is a reaction to Brexit. Whatever their issue is, it is poor form. It has traditionally been a feature of the sport that fans respect all riders, regardless of who your favourite rider is. You cheer for your favourite the loudest. Another cycling tradition that is slowly dying off.

DD.

You know the French crowd boo'd Armstrong, Anquetil, Hinault, Merckx in the past too, right?

They like booing, and they don't confine irrational partisanship to ball sports.

After all, the Tour's a circus.

I can understand them booing;

Lance - Johnny Foreigner who didn't even bother to learn any French.

Merckx - Johnny Foreigner who won everything.

Hinault - Angry French Man who didn't shy away from a bout of fisticuffs with whatever striking French miner/truck driver/air traffic controller/etc happened to be hijacking that day's stage.

But booing Anquetil? All he did was beat Raymond Poulidor!

I guess the moral of this story is "Don't win too much in France or they will boo you! :D

DD.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Not picking Roglic for PTP when he got his stage win...seriously. And not picking Gesink when he got his 2nd place.

I hate PTP!
    Half man, Half bike
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Probably Porte crashing out is the big one, as he had potential to be a major challenger. Although I seem to remember some speculation that he was coming off his form peak.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Alright I'm just gonna say it.

Thomas de Gendt.

Come on mate; you've got double the talent of Voeckler or Voigt. At least finish one of the bloody breaks off.

Does far too much work though... doesn't really help himself.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Katusha not taking Mørkøv to lead out Kristoff. Danish TV wasn't happy, Mørkøv wasn't happy, and Kristoff was seriously pissed off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    well, apart from Katusha (seriously wtf) my biggest disappointment was the level and detail of debate on this forum which was poor compared with eras when I used to post regularly.

Porte wasn't a disappointment because him coming a cropper was totally predictable
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • timoid.
    well, apart from Katusha (seriously wtf) my biggest disappointment was the level and detail of debate on this forum which was poor compared with eras when I used to post regularly.

Porte wasn't a disappointment because him coming a cropper was totally predictable

There was less to debate (Aru shenanigans and Sagan expulsion aside). I think it's a reflection of a dull race, with dull characters taking part.
  • mididoctors
    there was a lot missed by the forum which usually does better than the pro pundits due to the wisdom of the crowds, besides like the way the riders make the race the posters make the thread.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    there was a lot missed by the forum which usually does better than the pro pundits due to the wisdom of the crowds, besides like the way the riders make the race the posters make the thread.

What was missed?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262

I posted a picture of the spectator waving a pug in the riders' faces. What more do you want?
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    Katusha not taking Mørkøv to lead out Kristoff. Danish TV wasn't happy, Mørkøv wasn't happy, and Kristoff was seriously pissed off.

I'd say taking Kristoff was a bigger mistake than leaving out Mørkøv.

- Hindsight: 20/20 since forever....
  • mididoctors
    Sun Dodger wrote:

I'd say taking Kristoff was a bigger mistake than leaving out Mørkøv.

- Hindsight: 20/20 since forever....

what was the point of katusha. Kristoff had been riding like bag of cement all year. very poor showing by katusha given the budget.