Team Ratings & Team of the Tour

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    As AtC said, QS weren't worth an A, a B would be generous. The days they tried to boss the finish for Kittel were his worst stages and even if they were there with Kittel as their main man surely Dan has enough GC history to have deserved some support?
    Kittel won five stages. They came for stage wins. And they got five. One, two, three, four, five stages.

Yep, but as a team I didn't feel they performed and Kittel was often fighting for himself in the last couple of kms. They obviously still worked hard to get to that position hence a B but I don't think as a team they got it good enough to deserve an A. The biggest contribution they made was messing up Stage 2 so that Kittel didn't get caught up in the Cav crash.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,155
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    As AtC said, QS weren't worth an A, a B would be generous. The days they tried to boss the finish for Kittel were his worst stages and even if they were there with Kittel as their main man surely Dan has enough GC history to have deserved some support?
    Kittel won five stages. They came for stage wins. And they got five. One, two, three, four, five stages.

Yep, but as a team I didn't feel they performed and Kittel was often fighting for himself in the last couple of kms. They obviously still worked hard to get to that position hence a B but I don't think as a team they got it good enough to deserve an A. The biggest contribution they made was messing up Stage 2 so that Kittel didn't get caught up in the Cav crash.
    My rankings have always been about what a team achieved rather than how they achieved them
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    Fair enough but had Martin won the GC and Kittel not won a stage with QS as a whole riding the same race would that be an A for the team given it was pretty much all achieved by an individual rider?
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    Fair enough but had Martin won the GC and Kittel not won a stage with QS as a whole riding the same race would that be an A for the team given it was pretty much all achieved by an individual rider?
    If you win GC you get an A automatically. Just as if you win a stage you get a C minimum.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    I don't think you can separate QS from Kittel's wins, just because he didn't get a perfect lead out.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    M.R.M. wrote:
    I don't think you can separate QS from Kittel's wins, just because he didn't get a perfect lead out.

Also his boys put huge shifts in to reel in breakaways day after day. There is no argument that they get an A.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    BigMat wrote:
    I don't get the Contador love. He was in the race as a team leader, a GC contender, and he failed miserably. He shouldn't get within a mile of a 'team of the race'.

Agreed. It was painful to watch at times. Contador is a shell of what he was. I wish he would retire.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    A Grade
    SUNWEB- yeah
    SKY - yeah
    QUICK STEP - yeah

B Grade
    CANNONDALE - yeah
    BORA - No. Sagan getting chucked out early is no excuse. C grade
    DIRECT ENERGIE - stage win is a minimum no? C grade
    AG2R - yeah
    LOTTO JUMBO - yeah; they also were active elsewhere until retirements forced out two good riders

C Grade
    ORICA - yeah - just. No stage win....
    FDJ - yeah
    DIMENSION DATA - yeah
    TREK - yeah
    WANTY - yeah
    ASTANA - yeah

D Grade
    BMC - No. E or F. Absolute Shocker.
    UAE - E or F. Rubbish
    LOTTO SOUDAL - Fair. No who missed tried harder
    FORTUNEO - yeah

E Grade
    MOVISTAR - yeah
    COFIDIS - yeah

F Grade
    BAHRAIN - yeah
    KATUSHA - yeah

Team of the Tour
    Leader - Froome (just ahead of Uran)
    Sprinters -Kittel, Matthews
    Attacker -Barguil
    Climber - Landa
    Domestiques - Kwiatkowski, Naesen, Vermote
    Fighter - D.Martin

yeah
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    M.R.M. wrote:

He was always in the right place to use his finishing power. The fact he only needed one or two in the last 10km to get him into that position is hardly the team's fault. Nor is the fact that Katusha and Cofidis kept doing their work for them despite all evidence that it was a bad idea.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Leader - Kwiatkowski Michal (POL)
    Sprinter - Kwia, "What-his-name?-won-MSR"
    Attacker -Little Flower
    Climber - Kwiatek
    Domestiques - Flowerman, MK, 2014WC
    Fighter - Michał Kwiatkowski
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Hat. He was completely brilliant.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Ag2r as a B - movie team should go straight to the comedy post of the Tour
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    BigMat wrote:
    I don't get the Contador love. He was in the race as a team leader, a GC contender, and he failed miserably. He shouldn't get within a mile of a 'team of the race'.

Nostalgia.

And I agree with you.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Also a quick read through and the one I am in agreement of is the bumping of AG2R to an A. Regardless of Bardet only just clinging on they really lit up the race this year.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Also a quick read through and the one I am in agreement of is the bumping of AG2R to an A. Regardless of Bardet only just clinging on they really lit up the race this year.

Pierre Latour was supposed to be up there contesting the white jersey overall.
    He ended up looking more like he was contesting the Lantern Rouge.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    I had originally pencilled in AG2R as an A. But then I'd also have to give Cannondale an A and five teams getting an A seemed too much to me. If I give As out too freely I'll have to start introducing A*s and that would be silly.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    imatfaal wrote:
    Attacker -Little Flower
    Climber - Kwiatek
    Another category in the Team of the Tour is necessary:

DFFt03iXgAEnFvi.jpg
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    HAT :lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    RichN95 wrote:
    I had originally pencilled in AG2R as an A. But then I'd also have to give Cannondale an A and five teams getting an A seemed too much to me. If I give As out too freely I'll have to start introducing A*s and that would be silly.

Cannondale got their man on the podium, but that was largely Uran doing it by himself.
    AG2R deserve a better grade for at least trying to take the race to Froome. They were aggressive and animated the race.

They also came second in the team classification by a slim 7'14" - Trek were 3rd at 1h 44' 46"
    Cannondale took home more prize money - 243,250 to AG2R's 173,040, but if you take out the 200K (Uran) and 100k (Bardet) for podium places then AG2R won more elsewhere.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    Can a team serve both a sprinter as well as a GC candidate and succeed? Looks to me like you need to clearly decide beforehand what you're going to be in this day and age.
  • kingstongraham
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Can a team serve both a sprinter as well as a GC candidate and succeed? Looks to me like you need to clearly decide beforehand what you're going to be in this day and age.

Quickstep seem to have got this about right in the Tour and Giro this year. Prime focus is sprints, with a bit of a lone ranger in the top 10 of the GC.

I don't think you can do it the other way if you have a real contender for the GC win.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    M.R.M. wrote:

Quickstep seem to have got this about right in the Tour and Giro this year. Prime focus is sprints, with a bit of a lone ranger in the top 10 of the GC.

I don't think you can do it the other way if you have a real contender for the GC win.

See Sky 2012 and the problems that caused there. Although the Paris stage seeing Brad working for Cav was awesome.
  • timoid.
    M.R.M. wrote:

It used to be the other way round. Telekom was set up for Ullrich / Riis, but had enough guys there for Zabel. Lotto supported (a usually pants) GC rider and left McEwan a chaperone or two.
  • kingstongraham
    Timoid. wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

It used to be the other way round. Telekom was set up for Ullrich / Riis, but had enough guys there for Zabel. Lotto supported (a usually pants) GC rider and left McEwen a chaperone or two.

I think Kittel could do it with one or two in the last few km, but someone else would have to do the work to bring the break back. This year, the other teams did that for them, but they can't rely on it.
  • m.r.m.
    QS has been brought up here as a disappointment of the Tour despite winning 5 stages. Hence I wonder if success in sprinting and the GC are mutually exclusive in this day and age (or maybe even ever).
  • kingstongraham
    M.R.M. wrote:
    QS has been brought up here as a disappointment of the Tour despite winning 5 stages. Hence I wonder if success in sprinting and the GC are mutually exclusive in this day and age (or maybe even ever).

QS did fantastically well in this Tour. 5 stage wins and an unlucky 6th on GC.

Cavendish got three stage wins in 2012.
  • m.r.m.
    I agree. Read the disappointment thread for differing views. :wink:
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    knedlicky wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    Attacker -Little Flower
    Climber - Kwiatek
    Another category in the Team of the Tour is necessary:

DFFt03iXgAEnFvi.jpg

Nice one. Although Froome is a bit disturbing - and Whitney's arms are too chunky to fit him :-)
  • RichN95.
    I've just had a thought. Over the winter Alpecin dumped Giant/Sunweb in favour of Katusha. Anyone know how that's working out for them?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,939
    RichN95 wrote:
    I've just had a thought. Over the winter Alpecin dumped Giant/Sunweb in favour of Katusha. Anyone know how that's working out for them?

It all a bit hair today, gone tomorrow.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!