Bib shorts wear

sutbags
sutbags Posts: 45
edited July 2017 in Road general
Hello, does anybody know what causes this fibre break up on bib shorts. I have read it is just wear and tear but I'm not convinced. I know you have to use non bio detergents when washing, think I will do them by hand from now on. http://imgur.com/a/kUR5g

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My assos shorts went like that eventually but it took years.
    It's unlikely to be the detergent.

How old are they ?
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    If they're Lycra then a almost certainly elastane filaments in the fabric breaking. Happens when the elastane has been over stretched repeatedly, if there had been some friction or simply because it's old. Washing on too hot a temperature can do it too. My cheap sports direct swimming trunks do this a lot.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    It's sun damage. UV rays from the sun eventually break down the fibres.

Nothing to to with washing, imo.
  • witstu
    witstu Posts: 17
    It's funny how you never notice yourself. It's always somebody else that tells you they have gone see through! :oops:
  • sutbags
    sutbags Posts: 45
    cougie wrote:
    My assos shorts went like that eventually but it took years.
    It's unlikely to be the detergent.

How old are they ?
    This pair are about 4 years old but my one year old Castellis have started to go.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    sutbags wrote:
    This pair are about 4 years old but my one year old Castellis have started to go.

I have the same issue with a pair of Castelli shorts I've had for about 9 months. Not impressed.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Putting them in the bottom of the wash bin whilst still sweaty and damp can also degrade the material.