Hunt race aero wide

SonnyBlackpool
SonnyBlackpool Posts: 24
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Upgrading my wheels from the standard mavic aksoum.

Choosing between the
Hunt race aero wide with continental Grand Prix 4000SII
Or
Mavic Ksyrium pro sl wheelset with the

Has anyone got the Hunt race aero wide and shed some light on them. Seen a few good reviews from websites but none of people that have them.

Thanks

Comments

• oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Really nice wheels,couldn't fault mine although I have sold them to fund some nice carbon clinchers which will cost a lot more.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    I have some, running on Schwalbe 1 tubeless. Very good so far, around 1000 kms
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Hunt all the way for me, I run tubeless on mine , cannot fault them
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    ^^ as last 2.
    I have 2 sets of Hunt wheels including these on my good bike and I run both on tubeless pro1. They're great wheels.
    If you're going with Hunts I'd seriously consider running them tubeless - you get more comfort, more speed and fewer punctures.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    More speed on tubeless? Maybe a couple of watts reduced rolling resistance over the same tyre that is running a clincher but its not correct to say a tubeless set up is faster.
    I have a set of set of the Hunt Aero Race Wide and they are fine, nothing amazing, just a decent looking set of shallow rim wheels. They are not aero but I do use them to race with in bad weather. They are no faster than my other shallow rim wheels that I run as clinchers. My Hunts are set up tubeless with Schwalbe Pro One and my other shallow rims are set up with latex tubes and Michelin Power Comp which have less rolling resistance than tubeless and are technically "faster" on paper, in the real world there is little difference, if any.
    There are other wheels out there just as good in my opinion, nothing wrong with the Hunts what so ever, but for a standard set of tubeless ready rims they do get some proper lovin.
    I'm not knocking the hunts. Decent wheels for a decent price. But don't expect an aero difference or to go faster.

The OP mentioned the Mavic's which I think are approx. £620, if it was me I'd add a little extra and get these...
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mavic-ksyrium-p ... elset-wts/
  • Are their people with more experiences with the Hunt Race Aero Wide wheels? They look very interesting?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have been building with the Kinlin xr31rt rim for a bit longer but not by much than hunt have had the race areo wide. I do a similar spec but will the stiffer rear aero spokes and hubs with bigger bearings but overall the wheelset is similar.

If you think about the spec, deep stiff wide rims are going to make lovely wheels. The only thing that would worry me given the crap I seem to ride in is the longevity of the small bearings in n the Novatec hubs but if you ride in mostly fair weather that will be less of a concern.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    The race aero wide is 31mm deep so shallow as indicated above. The one thing this Kinlin xr31t rim does really well is tubeless compatibility. This is the one reason why you would go for a wheel with this rim
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    they are good but after a few months including crits and the alps they are feeling a little tired. I have put 6500km on them though!
  • philbar72 wrote:
    they are good but after a few months including crits and the alps they are feeling a little tired. I have put 6500km on them though!
    Did they lost there stiffness then?
  • cycleclinic
    wheels cant loose there stiffness. Think about how could it happen stiff is determined by the stiffness of the spokes, rim and hub bracing angles only. those things do not change with time.

tired could mean bearings are a bit rough, rims a bit worn, dirt that can no longer be removed easily.....