Sram GX 11 speed mech question

jamski
jamski Posts: 737
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I foolishly took it apart to clean, but didn't take note which jockey wheel was where, or which one was top or bottom.

Both look the same to me, and there is a U and an L on either side.

So I assume the L goes towards the left (non drive side) but is there a difference between top and bottom? Would they wear differently?

Everything is back together and ok, although I did have a moment this morning where the chain seemed to slip somewhere and the N/W teeth of the top jockey wheel ended up in the incorrect gaps in the chain. I had changed into the top cog but then had to stop as I approached a road. So when I pulled away the gears changed, and went crunch. User error I know, and probably coincidence.

So, any idea on the jockey wheels?
Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    U and L stand for Upper and Lower.
    Position them so the correct letter is viewed from 'outside' the bike. i.e. The top jockey wheel should have the 'U' visible and the lower jockey wheel should have the 'L' visible.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    JBA wrote:
    U and L stand for Upper and Lower.
    Position them so the correct letter is viewed from 'outside' the bike. i.e. The top jockey wheel should have the 'U' visible and the lower jockey wheel should have the 'L' visible.

Ah nice one! Thanks mate, makes sense! It's working ok as it is, but I'll swap them round.

So the jockey wheels will actually be the opposite way round to each other? Because they both have both letters on them!
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    It might be that they are both the same, but some derailleur do have different ones.
    Any visual differences you noticed between the two when you had them dismantled ?

Maybe worth dropping sram customer service or technical help an email, but if it's shifting smoothly I wouldn't get worried about it in the meantime.

It would make sense if one just had U for upper and the other L for lower, or L for left an R for right, but neither of these scenarios seem to be the case.

End of the day the jockey wheels just need to act as a chain guide, so if they run smoothly without any clatter or noise and the chain line looks OK trough the cage I wouldn't sweat too much.