Frame bag advice needed

ThisGirlCant
ThisGirlCant Posts: 48
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello,

New poster here. I've recent bought myself my first ever road bike, a Boardman Road Team Carbon (womens). It is in fact the first new bike I've bought myself which makes it extra special.

I want to buy a small frame bag to carry a repair kit, but need some advice on what to get. Anyone have one on a carbon frame, and got tips for reducing damage? I love the paint job on the bike and would hate to damage it. I'm thinking some electrical tape around it first might help?

Any recommendations on a good small frame bag (to fit: levers/patches/quick links/chain tool) that will fit nicely and not cause too much damage?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Get a little saddlebag - goes under the er, saddle. If its not too big it doesnt even touch the seatpost. No rubbing. No damage.
  • Good idea, completely forgot about one of those! I think it'd look better as well...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If you want to protect any areas of your frame, search eBay for Helicopter Tape, you can cut it to different shapes and sizes and it's clear. Way better than those little cable patches and can be used on chain stays etc.

I use it in various places on my frames and the last frame I sold after 3 years riding barely had a mark on it when sold, it was still like new really. The trick is predicting all the right places that need protecting, where cables will move. Basically if you've sorted those and wrap at least the drive side chainstay or maybe both your close. (The only other places I've ever done is on the belly of the downtube and underneath the forkcrown.

We're talking about maybe 30 mins to have a bike done.

Oh, if you don't need two bottles and only ride with one, don't even bother with a saddle bag you can just put everything in one of these in your other bottle cage:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/pro-storage-bottle/rp-prod16400 ...out of stock there but just search for storage bottle on cycle retailer websites.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Saddle bags vs bottle cage storage vs jersey pockets - this one could run and run.........;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    Saddle bags vs bottle cage storage vs jersey pockets - this one could run and run.........;)

I think having tools in my pockets would really irritate me, but the bottle thing is a good idea. I assume I could just use a regular bottle and shove stuff in there?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Svetty wrote:

I think having tools in my pockets would really irritate me, but the bottle thing is a good idea. I assume I could just use a regular bottle and shove stuff in there?

You could, but you'll find the aperture at the top once the lid is off isn't enough to squeeze all the bits and bobs in to pack them well, and it will be full. Storage bottles where the whole diameter of the top come off are best.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Not sure how tall you are, but with many ladies frames 2 cages don't fit and even if they do its a bugger to get the bottles in and out.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • mfin wrote:
    If you want to protect any areas of your frame, search eBay for Helicopter Tape...

I've not used this stuff, but I cut up old inner tubes and use them as frame protectors when I'm using P clips (removable collars that can hold racks etc) or something of that ilk. They seem to work fine, but perhaps could be a bit unsightly if you were using them all over the shop and leaving them on. If it's just underneath a frame or saddle bag that you were leaving on most of the time it might be a cheaper and more easily replaceable idea than tape.

From a storage POV, my personal favourite is a saddle bag as they're well out the way, readily accessible, and allow for two bottles. I can see the pros and cons of the other types, but they don't work as well for me.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... g=ho01f-21 £5 (they have some other decent Boardman offers too)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Animal72 wrote:
    Not sure how tall you are, but with many ladies frames 2 cages don't fit and even if they do its a bugger to get the bottles in and out.

It's a 48.5 so small but not the smallest. Will have to check if a second cage would fit.
  • Just had a quick look. There's room for a second bottle, but I think getting the bottle in and out of the cage would be a real pain. Will have to have a play around but think I'll probably go for a saddle bag. Will check out some possibilities.

Thanks for the help!
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Look for side entry bottle cages. They're better for acces in small frames.