Upgrading my roadie

bashie
bashie Posts: 7
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,
New here!

Just hoping for a bit more advice and any suggestions you may have towards my new bike choices would be greatly appreciated!

Budget is around £1,500-£2,000.

Bit of background; I'm 5"10, 80kg. I mainly do solo miles around 20-50 a couple of times a week depending on what's on, not too hilly but I do love a good climb. I am planning on joining the local club and entering more sportives in the coming year.

I have been looking at the Giant TRC advanced with maybe upgrading the wheels to something a bit lighter straight away. I've test ridden it and like the geometry of the frame as it's slightly more racy/aggressive.

I've also been looking at the Canyon ultimate but haven't heard much about them, as there's no suppliers local if any!

I've also tossed the idea of building up my own, and with friends in the industry possibly nabbing trade price on parts. Having looked around though I'm not sure this is the best idea financially as framesets in the general bracket I'm looking at go for around £1,200 at the bottom end?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What have you got now ?

Giant TCR is a very nice bike - more so if you've ridden it and liked it.

If you can get trade prices then look into that. Building yourself can save money if you take your time and get stuff in the sales - but you need to know what you're doing and be patient. Otherwise you do get good value with a full bike.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    You won't have much look finding a local Canyon dealer (unless you live in Germany) as they're a direct seller, as are Rose. That means that their bikes can be pretty good value, but you can't generally test ride them before buying.

If you can find a good deal on a frameset that you like then a self-build is the way to go in my view. Just accept that it might cost you slightly more than an equivalent off the peg model, but everything on it will be chosen according to your preferences and requirements, so you won't need to spend more money on "upgrades" for the foreseeable future.

You are coming into this at a decent time of year - over the next two or three months there will be some great deals around on 2017 bikes and frames.
  • bashie
    Ah yes, I figured that may be the case. Okay excellent thanks for that, I'll keep a look out for deals on framesets and completes in the coming months!

Cheers
    Bashie
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    If you have a look at the "Canyon or Planet X" thread below you'll see someone posted a link to a Canyon currently reduced which does look like great value.
  • bashie
    Fenix wrote:
    What have you got now ?

Giant TCR is a very nice bike - more so if you've ridden it and liked it.

If you can get trade prices then look into that. Building yourself can save money if you take your time and get stuff in the sales - but you need to know what you're doing and be patient. Otherwise you do get good value with a full bike.

I had an old Raleigh, but unfortunately snapped the down tube around the front wield (not a clue how).

Sounds like that is a very viable option, although I am currently without a road bike so I was hoping to do get something as soon as I'm back in the country. but as it stands it looks like I'll be back just at the end of the 2017 season!