Upgrading hayes sole hydraulic disc brakes

Martin_Turner_2002
edited July 2017 in MTB general
Hi,

First time I've posted so apologies if I've done anything wrong.

I have a 2007 specialized hardrock pro disc which has hayes sole hydraulic brakes with 160 rotors.

I'm looking to upgrade the brakes and would like some advice on what would be a reasonable upgrade with a budget of £100.

Thanks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    You may just about be able to get Shimano SLX for that money. If not, Shimano Deore.
  • As long as they're half decent as the hayes sole brakes are garbage.

Would they be a straight swap?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends if the Hayes are IS or post mount - you may need adapters.

As brakes they are in a different league.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Martin_Turner_2002
    edited July 2017
    :mrgreen:
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends if the Hayes are IS or post mount

I've looked and they're IS mounts
  • cooldad
    The Simano will be post mount, so if the forks are IS you'll need a 160mm IS to front post adapter and a 160mm rear IS to post adapter. I think, from memory, they are different (rear 160mm is same as front 140mm?)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    The Simano will be post mount, so if the forks are IS you'll need a 160mm IS to front post adapter and a 160mm rear IS to post adapter. I think, from memory, they are different (rear 160mm is same as front 140mm?)

The forks are post mount so will that be ok without an adaptor?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a nervous noob
  • Changing brake systems is safety critical. Pay a qualified professional to do it. You really cant afford to bugger up the brakes.
  • cooldad
    edited July 2017
    Total rubbish. You bolt the new ones on and job done.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bobbydigital
    bobbydigital Posts: 254
    You need to ask for the hose lengths! No one seems to list that in the description when they sale brakes on certain auction sites. If they are too short it's an issue but if they are too long then £6 buys you the olives and inserts needed.

Deores are only about 50/60 a set, SLX 70-100, I have seen XT go for just over a £100 via auction.
    I got a set of Br 446s for £40 posted as an upgrade on avid exlxir 1's, anything is an upgrade on them tbh but they are okay for the everyday user in my opinion, they are entry level shimano brakes but decent enough and easy to bleed.

I'd advise brakes which use the funnel system for bleeding, there will be a bleed port screen on top of the master cylinder reservoir, it's super easy to do.
  • Thanks for all the replies. I bought some brand new shimano BR-MT500 with the rear adapter for £90 and fitted them myself (including switching the levers round and shortening the cable) the difference in performance from my hayes sole brakes is unbelievable.