BB30 does my nut in! Adapter?

johnnymcg259
johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
I have a CAAD8 winter/training bike. Its 2 years old and whilst it's generally been fine the BB30 is now making nasty noises which irritate the bejezes out of me! :shock:

I'm aware that this is usual for BB30 (and similar) b/bracket units but I need to change it for the sake of my mental wellbeing. What's the best option please fellas - praxis........and if so what size??

Thanks

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Have you changed the bearings. After 2 years , they probably need it. Also the BB area is very prone to water ingress during wet rides. This takes a toll on any bottom bracket. I'm not saying don't put an adapter in , but BB 30 can be easy to live with.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Cbear is your friend
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    JGSI wrote:
    Have you changed the bearings. After 2 years , they probably need it. Also the BB area is very prone to water ingress during wet rides. This takes a toll on any bottom bracket. I'm not saying don't put an adapter in , but BB 30 can be easy to live with.

I'm not sure that changing the bearings is the answer. I've had a Felt F4 for ~6 years and never had an issue with BB noises - it does have BB30, albeit with adaptors and a Shimano crankset. All I've had to do is remove, clean and grease bearings.
    Miles wise, it probably has >13k miles on it.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Change the bearings. You can try fixing them with tub glue instead of loctite. That has worked with much bigger bearings in my look. Those still wear out though.

The bearings should not be fixed dry. Metal on metal bb interfaces creak. On one customers cannondale i drilled a hole drain hole in the shell so water could get out.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I've had a CAAD10 for a winter bike for 4-5 years and although there have been a lot of noises - they have all ended up being something other than the BB30 - cleats, handlebars, skewer etc.
    I did change the original 105 for a full new 105 groupset last Autumn and went with a praxis. So far no issues at all.
  • johnnymcg259
    cheers all for responses.......'mystery squeaks' on a bike .......frustrating!
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    CAAD 8's are not BB30 they are standard 68mm BSA threaded BB's.
  • jgsi
    banditvic wrote:

... end of thread then.
  • banditvic wrote:

You might want to inform Cannondale that they don't know their own bikes
  • jgsi
    Have you had a look inside yet?
  • banditvic
    Weird mine is threaded.
  • banditvic wrote:
    Weird mine is threaded.

A bit more googling suggests it depends on the year and maybe groupset.
  • johnnymcg259
    BB30......my frame is 2 years old. I think the older model CAAD8's might have been standard threaded?
  • banditvic
    Mine is 2016. Claris groupset, think your probably right about which groupset you have.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    US made CAAD8 from years back are mostly threaded. The newer Asian built models are threaded BB on the one or two lowest models, and BB30 above.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I have the Praxxis adapter in my CAADX. Been in there just over 2 years, and had no problems whatsoever.
    The bike gets ridden in all weathers, and on muddy/gravel tracks as a commuter, and has probably covered around 7k miles.
    The crank comes out a couple of times a year to give it a wipe down and fresh grease smeared everywhere.
    There are cheaper kits available, but I'm more than happy with what I have
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I fitted an FSA BB sleeve on my Felt F5 a few years ago and fitted 6800 crankset and had zeros issues since. I bonded it into the BB shell using Loctite 648 retaining compound.
  • Saldawop
    Saldawop Posts: 64
    Anyone tried one of these https://www.hambini.com/hambini-bb30-to-shimano-bottom-bracket.html

Am thinking of getting a Synapse and have been reading about the creaking problem with the BB30. Watched a video on YT by the seller.Looks good, but I don't know that much about this kinda thing