New Wheelset

slc123
slc123 Posts: 407
edited July 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

After a little bit of advice...

I've been riding a Cannondale 4 Trail 27.5 for about 2 years and can't really complain. Upgraded a few little bits tyres and pedals.

I have mainly put it through XC and some more technical single track, nothing too taxing. I recently decided I might try and get out on some more technical stuff over in the Forest of Dean.

My issue is that on a recent trip out I buckled the front wheel pretty badly and don't think it looks repairable as it's more of banana shape now! I guess it may be a good idea to upgrade the wheelset as the original rims don't get a good review.

I have to stick to a budget of around £200, but wondered if there was any recommendations for the type of stuff I am doing.

Thanks in advance.
Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Have a look at Superstar. They make pretty decent wheels and offer a free lifetime truing service.
    I bought a set of EX23 rims on Switch hubs for my wife's bike a couple of years ago and they have been great.

THESE are on sale at the moment.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You could just replace the front wheel and safe to do the rear later. If you are heavier and ride harder make sure you get strong enough wheels with 32 spokes.
  • slc123
    Thanks Guys,

Do I have any compatibility issues to deal with other than wheel size?

So many options, it's hard to work out what's good value for money and going to be fit for the job!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Kajjal wrote:
    You could just replace the front wheel and safe to do the rear later. If you are heavier and ride harder make sure you get strong enough wheels with 32 spokes.

EX1501 enduro wheels only have 28 - its a misnomer that you need 32 spokes these days.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    JBA wrote:
    Have a look at Superstar. They make pretty decent wheels and offer a free lifetime truing service.
    I bought a set of EX23 rims on Switch hubs for my wife's bike a couple of years ago and they have been great.

THESE are on sale at the moment.

Dont buy Stans Crest rims unless you are light and delicate though... As you already tacoed a set of wheels, I suspect the crest wouldnt be strong enough for you.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Just got a set off Superstar, £200 on sale, Ryde time and SS hubs, 29mm width.
  • slc123
    apreading wrote:

Dont buy Stans Crest rims unless you are light and delicate though... As you already tacoed a set of wheels, I suspect the crest wouldnt be strong enough for you.

Thanks for the feedback, I ride relatively aggressively and I'm 6'1 so not particularly light either. I've been looking at some Mavic wheels. Any opinions?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    POAH wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

EX1501 enduro wheels only have 28 - its a misnomer that you need 32 spokes these days.

My hope enduro wheels have 32 but 28 would likely be fine for my 100kg, heavier riders should avoid light weight wheel sets.