Mavic Zicral Spokes on Ksyrium Pros

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
Quick question - does anyone have any experience of wheels with these spokes?

I saw a thread from a few years ago saying avoid wheels built with these alu spokes as they fail quite easily?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    You are seriously getting paranoid about these mavic wheels.... :-)

I suspect the failures are are more down to having few of them than the spokes themselves. I can send you a broken one, if you want... :-)
    left the forum March 2023
  • bmxboy10
    You are seriously getting paranoid about these mavic wheels.... :-)

I suspect the failures are are more down to having few of them than the spokes themselves. I can send you a broken one, if you want... :-)
    Just checked and it was you that was saying they were no good on the other thread!
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Despite what you might read on forums, the Mavic Ksyriums with Zicral spokes have a reputation for being very reliable and strong wheels.

I have 30'000km on my pair of Ksyrium SLS wheels and they are still running true with no problems so far.

No need to worry about them.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    solboy10 wrote:
    Just checked and it was you that was saying they were no good on the other thread!

Ugo is one of a few 'big' personalities on the forum, but I would take what he says with a pinch of salt to be honest. His is just one opinion amongst many others.
  • ugo.santalucia
    True.

I have replaced quite a few zicral spokes in SLS wheels... it's hard to say if there is anything wrong with them or something wrong in having only 20 of them. We all know aluminium fatigue profile is significantly worse than that of stainless steel and in fact probably the worst among all the engineering metal alloys, but it's also true that these spokes are super-sized, when compared to standard stainless spokes.

What is probably more relavant is that they build a significantly stiffer wheel, but also a significantly harsher wheel.

On balance I'd say the chances of those failing are probably the same as the chances of a stainless steel in an Elite wheel failing...

Anyway, I though the OP was after the Elite, not the SLS
  • bmxboy10
    True.

I have replaced quite a few zicral spokes in SLS wheels... it's hard to say if there is anything wrong with them or something wrong in having only 20 of them. We all know aluminium fatigue profile is significantly worse than that of stainless steel and in fact probably the worst among all the engineering metal alloys, but it's also true that these spokes are super-sized, when compared to standard stainless spokes.

What is probably more relavant is that they build a significantly stiffer wheel, but also a significantly harsher wheel.

On balance I'd say the chances of those failing are probably the same as the chances of a stainless steel in an Elite wheel failing...

Anyway, I though the OP was after the Elite, not the SLS

Probably should have explained better....

I have a set of 2018 Elite UST waiting to go on the bike that I managed to get for £400 despite the normal price being £500 plus.

I have seen a set of special edition Ksyrium Pros with Exalith rims going for £600 but noted they have these aluminium Zircal spokes and naturally went on to find out more....wish I hadnt :lol:

Anyway just trying to work out whats the best option, the cheaper UST tubeless version or the more expensive sexy Exalith but non tubeless version. BTW Elite spokes are not "stainless" but are steel.
  • ugo.santalucia
    solboy10 wrote:
    BTW Elite spokes are not "stainless" but are steel.

Pretty sure they are stainless steel... nobody makes non stainless spokes anymore... being that silver or black spokes. Alpina used to make spokes for Mavic, not sure whether this is still the case