MTB inner tube recommendation please

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited July 2017 in MTB buying advice
I bought a few Continental Quality MTB Inner Tube 26x1.4-1.75 inner tubes from Wiggle a while back but have been disappointed with the quality of the Presta valves on them. The centre pins have snapped off all of them after just a few pressure top-ups.

The original tubes never had this issue and neither have the tubes on my road bike - and I'm using exactly the same pump on all of the tubes, a Topeak Joe Blow Sport.

Comparing the Presta valve on the Continental tubes to the ones on my Specialized road bike, I can see a fair difference in quality.

So, are there 26 inch MTB inner tubes that are a better quality than the Continental ones that have decent Presta valves on them? I've had no punctures in the Continental ones, it's just the valves on them that are weak.

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I use primarily Conti inners and never seen any problem with the valves on my Joe Blow. Only issue I have making me look at other options is that the Conti's all have removeable inner cores and my screw on mini pumps sometimes unscrew the valve cores. I just got some from Decathlon but there are cheap ones at Halfords too.

If you think Specialized ones are better then buy them. To my mind they are much of a muchness.
  • rumbataz
    apreading wrote:
    I use primarily Conti inners and never seen any problem with the valves on my Joe Blow. Only issue I have making me look at other options is that the Conti's all have removeable inner cores and my screw on mini pumps sometimes unscrew the valve cores. I just got some from Decathlon but there are cheap ones at Halfords too.

I wonder if this is what's been happening to my Conti tubes?! When the middle pin bit came off I just assumed the valve was broken and replaced the tube.

I was also noticing that the Conti tubes were losing pressure all the time.
  • rumbataz
    I've just been looking at another tube and have seen the removable core. I don't think that's the issue in my case. it's the pin at the end that has been coming off. Here's an image showing the part that has come off all of my Conti inner tubes:

5NdmEQy.jpg
  • apreading
    Yes - the inner core only comes out when using a pump that screws on. The Joe Blow doesnt have this problem but my mini pumps that I take out on the ride do. Thats the hassle with it because you dont usually have a tool to tighten them back up, although I do now carry one.

I understood your initial description - cant think why they would come out or break off - none of mine ever have and I have been using Conti tubes for years. Dont know if you got a duff batch? Anyway, I dont think any one make will necessarily be better than another in that respect but as I said if you think the specialized ones you have look better then just buy some of them if it gives you peace of mind.
  • rumbataz
    I've just bought the Park Tool VC-1 for undoing/tightening inner cores. I tightened the cores on the currently fitted Conti tubes as both cores were very slightly loose. I have a theory as to why the top pin is breaking off - I may have been pumping up my tyres all wrong!

Previously I've just unscrewed the top pin very slightly to pump up the tyres. After going back to basics and wanting several YouTube videos on how to pump up tyre via a Presta valve, I noticed that the tip was unscrewed all the way to the stop and then then tyre was pumped up. I've just tried this and the pump head fits on better and the tyre is easier to pump up. Doh!
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Yes unscrew the pin all the way.

Those tubes have removable valve cores which as noted can also come unscrewed.. I had that happen once, must have been loose from new.. I just tweek them up with needle pliers and don't seem to have problems.
  • apreading
    I got a few of these, and now keep them in my kit with the tyre patches etc: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-valve-core-remover

I never thought to unscrew all the way, but I unscrew enough to push the pin in quite a way so maybe further than you used to from your description. I shall experiment next time I use a pump!
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I buy Halfords own brand, three quid a pop. Even less with British cycling discount. :)
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two