Need advices on New Carbon Wheelset... 3 Options

Road44
Road44 Posts: 19
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello,
It is my second year as a cyclist. I've improved a lot from last year and I take cycling more and more seriously. I consider to start racing next year. I've come to a point where I am fast enough to benefit from Aero wheels. For your information, I currently ride on Mavic Ksyrium that came stock with my bike. So my next investment would be a more Aero Carbon clincher wheelset. I am looking for 40-50mm deep rims. Unfortunately, I can't afford top wheelset from say Enve, Zipp, Aleodus, etc... My budget is around 1500-2000$CAD.

I am considering 3 different options and I would like to have your advice on these.

1. Mega 50mm, with DtSwiss240s hub.
228392wheels.jpg
It's a wheelset hanbuilt by a professionnal wheels builder from my hometown that I've met this weekend. He assembles his wheel in his house. He's a passionnate wheelbuilder and designed all his machine to assemble his wheel. The assembly of his wheels are top quality with professionnal machine and have precise metrics to justify his work. (see pictures of his workcenter below). He also visit the Carbon manufacturer in Taiwan to develop his business and assure/test product quality. The advantage of this wheelset is that it uses very good components. I could have a 1600g Wheelset with 50mm deep rim with a modern 25mm width from a reputed manufacturer from Taiwan : MegaComposites. He assembles this wheel with Sapim CX-ray spokes. And finally a really good hub wich is DT Swiss 240s. I would sell it to me for 1500 $CAD + tax (Approx. 1800 CAD$)

Here are the full specs :
Rims: Megacomposites 50mm clincher 27.5mm x 50mm UD Mat 20 x 24
Spokes: Sapim CXRAY
Nipples: DTSwiss pro lock Squorx pro head
Hubs: DTSwiss 240s SP 20 x 24
Weight: F: 740 R: 840 ( Weight without QR )
QR: Fulche 64 Gr set
Radial tolerance: .15mm
Lateral tolerance: .1mm
Center: .2mm
Tension: R 125kg/f F: 110kg/f +/- 5%

Picture from his workshop:
948707IMG0593.jpg739740IMG0594.jpg540467IMG0596.jpg

My Opinion:
Pros : Top components that make a wheelset that compare to a 3500$+ set like Enve, Zipp... Without the name on it
Really good and precise assembly
Easy service if something happen
Cons : Not the best look
Not a brand people recognize
Reliability of company... One single men that could stop anyday making wheel if its business doesnt work anymore
Resale value... Could be really hard to resale a handbuilt wheels with "no-name" rims

2. Prime RP-50 or RR-50 clincher wheelset from ChainReactionCycle/Wiggle
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/prime-rp-50-carbon-clincher-wheelset/rp-prod142950
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/prime-rr-50-carbon-clincher-road-wheelset/rp-prod142961

prod142950_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=505

New wheelset at a really good price point that gets really good reviews, modern wide rim. Love the look.
links Cyclingtips review

Here are the full specs for the RP model :
Model: CC-50 carbon clincher
Material: T700 UD carbon fibre rim section
High TG resin 3K carbon fibre brake track with textured surface for enhanced all weather performance
Rim Profile: Prime U profile for enhanced aerodynamics and predictable handling in crosswinds
Tubeless ready
Spoke count: 24 hole rear / 20 hole front
Rim width: 25mm wide (16.5mm internal rim width)
SBT technology – Staggered brake track positions the braking surface away from the tyre bead to increase heat dissipation

Hub Specifications:
Rear:
Model: R010 Rear
Material: Superlight Forged & CNC machined 7075 alloy hub body
Spoke type: Straight pull
Bearings: Premium Japanese sealed cartridge bearings x 4
Axle: 130mm x QR
Pawls: 4
Points of engagement: 26
Freehub Body: Light weight alloy with ABG (Anti Bite Guard), Shimano/SRAM 9/10/11 speed
Freehub Body Option: Campagnolo freehub body available for purchase separately
Hole count: 24
Weight: 219g

Front:
Model: R010 Front
Material: Superlight Forged & CNC machined 7075 alloy hub body
Spoke type: Straight pull
Bearings: Premium Japanese sealed cartridge bearings x 2
Axle: 100mm x 9mm QR
Hole count: 20
Weight: 77g
Total Wheelset Weight: 1490g

Net price incl. Taxes and import fees : Approx. 1500$CAD for RP Model and 1300$ for RR Model

My Opinion:
Pros : Light
Really good price/quality ratio
Love the look
Modern wide rim
Cons : Not the best hub component I think
Not a brand people recognize
Could be tough to resale... Lose a lot of value because the brand is not really recognized

3. Giant Wheelset SLR1
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/slr-1-carbon-aero-road-black
73090-91.jpg?height=400&quality=100&mode=none&bgcolor=white

This is the most affordable wheelset in my local bike stores.

Specs:
Ultra-Light full composite 700C rims
Tubeless compatible using supplied rim strips and valves
23mm wide rim for better tire performance
55mm rim height
Stainless steel, straight pull, bladed aero profile spokes
Dynamic Balanced Lacing provides significantly higher transmission stiffness vs. traditionally laced wheels
Alloy locking nipples
Giant Alloy hub shell with pawl based driver
1700g per pair

Net Price Incl. Taxes : 1600$

My Opinion:
Pros : From my LBS
Easy service from LBS
Reputable brand (Giant)
Cons : Not convinced of the components quality (Hub)
Not my favorite look
Not original... Many people have these wheels

So these are my options at the moment. I would like to have advices on these. Feel free to suggest me other options too.

Thank you!

Comments

• Have a look at Reynolds Assault
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That's a nice workshop.

What kind of racing ? Road ? Criterium ? TT ? Flat ? Hilly ?
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Zipp 404s. Done.

Surely you can source some over there in your price bracket?
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Deep black hoops are really all about the look so get the ones you think look the best. I don't like the red labels, but the DT Swiss 240 hubs are top notch and the rest of the wheel build will be excellent if the looks of that lab/workshop is anything to go by! I don't really have an opinion on the Giant wheels, but the Primes are light and look like a great buy with High TG resin rims, CX ray spokes and Novatec Superlight straightpull hubs. Despite your fears, the hubs on the Prime are fine: perhaps not the most durable, but they are very serviceable and replacement free hubs and bearings are easy to source.
  • Road44
    cougie wrote:
    That's a nice workshop.

What kind of racing ? Road ? Criterium ? TT ? Flat ? Hilly ?

It's mainly flat where I live so I'll probably start with some flat road race. Maybe, some Criterium, but not TT
  • Road44
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Zipp 404s. Done.

From what I have seen, I can't afford them.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It looks like you're good and thorough at comparing features and merits, but no good at making a decision :)

Reynolds Aero 46 are another shout.
  • Road44
    bobones wrote:
    Deep black hoops are really all about the look so get the ones you think look the best. I don't like the red labels, but the DT Swiss 240 hubs are top notch and the rest of the wheel build will be excellent if the looks of that lab/workshop is anything to go by! I don't really have an opinion on the Giant wheels, but the Primes are light and look like a great buy with High TG resin rims, CX ray spokes and Novatec Superlight straightpull hubs. Despite your fears, the hubs on the Prime are fine: perhaps not the most durable, but they are very serviceable and replacement free hubs and bearings are easy to source.

I am slightly beginner with hubs. But, apart from the durability do you think I could notice a difference between the DtSwiss240 and the Novatec?

And what about the RR50 vs RP50, do you think it worth investing 200$ more for the RP ?

Thank you
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Road44 wrote:
    I am slightly beginner with hubs. But, apart from the durability do you think I could notice a difference between the DtSwiss240 and the Novatec?

And what about the RR50 vs RP50, do you think it worth investing 200$ more for the RP ?

Thank you
    No, I don't think you'd notice any difference between the DT and Novatec hubs if they are both working well; however, the DT hubs may cover many more miles before they need new bearings etc.

As far as I can tell, the main difference between the RR50s and the RP50s is that the later use straight pull Sapim CX-ray aero spokes and are a little bit lighter. The RR50s have DT Swiss round spokes and J-bend hubs. If you can afford it, go for the lighter wheel - they are a really good spec for the money, but the cheaper ones are still an excellent buy.
  • Road44
    bobones wrote:
    Road44 wrote:

Thank you
    No, I don't think you'd notice any difference between the DT and Novatec hubs if they are both working well; however, the DT hubs may cover many more miles before they need new bearings etc.

As far as I can tell, the main difference between the RR50s and the RP50s is that the later use straight pull Sapim CX-ray aero spokes and are a little bit lighter. The RR50s have DT Swiss round spokes and J-bend hubs. If you can afford it, go for the lighter wheel - they are a really good spec for the money, but the cheaper ones are still an excellent buy.

Thank you! Really appreciate!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Zipp 404s. Done.

His budget is up to about £1200. Where can you get them as a wheelset for that sort of price, cos I'd be tempted !
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Zipp 404s. Done.

His budget is up to about £1200. Where can you get them as a wheelset for that sort of price, cos I'd be tempted !

http://www.ubyk.co.uk/zipp-404-carbon-7 ... lack/62816

£198 over budget, but worth it everyday of the week IMO.

I'm still undecided which are the better performing wheels between my old 404s and current Enve 4.5 NBTs....

When price comes into it, no WAY are the Enves worth 2.2 x the Zipps!
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • I've heard good feedback on the new Zipp range if that's an option you are looking at. How about the 302s? I'm sure there is a new cheaper version of the 404s also. Can't seem to find it though.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I don't remember there being a cheaper version of the 404's, From memory Zipp released the 302 and the 454 earlier this year. The 302 being the "budget" wheel and the 454 being the top of the range - £3k.
    Lots of choice in the OP price range and probably "better" choices. Personally if I was spending £1200 on a set of wheels the appearance would have to be as good as the performance, so that rules out the locally built wheels.
    The Giant wheels if the bike is a Giant Propel for example would be a good shout. I actually use the older version of the Giant SLR P1 Aero wheels for racing on, seem pretty good - had them on the bike for over a year.

As always though its a very personal choice, I would be looking at Reynolds Assault SLG or maybe the new Bontrager Aeolus Pro. On a none aero frame I always prefer the look of a mid depth wheel (35mm to 45mm depth).
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Zipp 404s. Done.

I bought my 404 tubs 2017 model from Chain Reaction for £1280 (including BC discount).
  • Road44
    w00dster wrote:
    I don't remember there being a cheaper version of the 404's, From memory Zipp released the 302 and the 454 earlier this year. The 302 being the "budget" wheel and the 454 being the top of the range - £3k.
    Lots of choice in the OP price range and probably "better" choices. Personally if I was spending £1200 on a set of wheels the appearance would have to be as good as the performance, so that rules out the locally built wheels.
    The Giant wheels if the bike is a Giant Propel for example would be a good shout. I actually use the older version of the Giant SLR P1 Aero wheels for racing on, seem pretty good - had them on the bike for over a year.

As always though its a very personal choice, I would be looking at Reynolds Assault SLG or maybe the new Bontrager Aeolus Pro. On a none aero frame I always prefer the look of a mid depth wheel (35mm to 45mm depth).

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't have an aero frame. I agree that a mid depth wheel also look good, but I do not think you get as much aerodynamics with 35mm as 50mm... wich is one of my objective.
  • Road44
    What about

Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon Exalith 2017

Could have these used (only 400km) from someone I know for 1300$Cad which is approx. 900eur.

They seem a bit heavy tough
  • Road44
    Road44 wrote:
    What about

Could have these used (only 400km) from someone I know for 1300$Cad which is approx. 900eur.

They seem a bit heavy tough

Any advice on these wheels ?
  • I remember your visit but sorry forgot your name. Megacomposites is an excellent factory and makes Rims for many Wheel companies, there are many factories in Taiwan that have excellent quality, and produce Rims / Wheels for a lot of Brand names. The Raw material is extremely important and so is the assembly :D I hope you found a good set of Wheels.

Steven
    JLPrecisionWheels
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    You could get something lighter and better if you were prepared to make the jump to tubulars - if you shop around you can pick up 2017 Campagnolo Bora One tubs in your price bracket. 50mm depth, 24mm width, very stiff, look amazing and finished to a much higher quality than nearly any other wheel.

Or if you must have clinchers, it would be worth exceeding your budget slightly for the Boras..
  • Get those local builder's mega wheels - all you have to do is ask him to leave off or remove the decals (who wants that cr@p on their rims anyway? ;-) )