Buying a new wheel

Blade180
Blade180 Posts: 70
edited July 2017 in Workshop
I am buying a new wheel due to my current one having spokes corroded and they keep snapping and the wheel is damaged.
My current wheel has I believe 32 spokes... But at evancycles I was offered a wheel with 20 spokes only.
https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-rs1 ... l-EV202634

Now this may be a noob question but, should I buy a wheel with 20 spokes or look for a wheel with 32.
Keeping in mind I don't want to spend a lot.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    There is not much choice of single wheels... it is a case of you get what you find... if you are a heavy rider, then avoid, if you are not, then it should be fine
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    BTW, 'heavy' in this context means something like >85kg. Plenty will argue the toss either way though, all day...whilst also mentioning the word 'bombproof' several times in reference to their own wheels.
  • Blade180
    Blade180 Posts: 70
    I weigh around 88KG right now. My LBS said the more spokes the better.
    I found another wheel a mavic one for £90. Funny thing is its a third of what I paid for the whole bike.
    Anyone know mavic wheels are good and reliable?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Mavic have been making wheels for decades. I'm sure its lots better than the one its replacing.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am 100kg and my road and mountain bike both have 32 spoke wheels as heavier people also tend to be stronger as well which puts more stress on the wheels. In practice this means low spoke wheels are more of a risk and will not normally last as long. For me reliability is more important.

What bike do you have and how much / how far do you ride at the moment as there may be cheaper alternatives you could go for.

Decathlon have a good value range of road bikes and sell the wheels on those separately. Below is one example but they would be able to advise in store or maybe some one on here has used them. 28 spoke will be fine if you are not riding very narrow tyres on rough roads.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-aero ... 79881.html