Dual Flat / Spd pedals with reflectors for a heavy sod.

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
I've just got through my third set of pedals in 4000km of all weather riding, which is just over a year.
First and second were btwin 500 dual use (shimano A530 a likes).
3rd was a set of Shimano clickr t400s, which failed today.

I want something that's dual use, so can spd or pedal without, as it's for commuting in rural as well as in heavy stop start traffic.

I feel I'm buying cheap, buying twice ( although these are all covered under warranty),

So, looking for some better combined pedals; any recommendations greatly appreciated.. I really don't want to be stranded for a 4th time 9 miles from home with only one pedal.

Budget is probably £50-£60.
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What are you doing to them ? I've not broken a pedal in 30 plus years ?
  • wolfsbane2k
    cougie wrote:
    What are you doing to them ? I've not broken a pedal in 30 plus years ?

The btwin ones bearing shattered and the axle pulled out of the frame. They have no serviceable parts, so it's bin time. (They come with 2 years warranty so not a problem, but got a full refund when the second pair died)

The Shimano ones, I'm not quite sure but I think the bearing has shattered but it's still in the pedal frame. Very loose axle with about 5 mm play on it.

What I do to them? I'm a heavy sod at 120kg and climb a hill daily while standing for full power down..
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    I'm thinking Shimano pd-t8000, their XT trekking pedals might be worth a punt, but not sure if they have gone for strength or lightness at that point.

It's strange, I've had a pair of m520s for ten years on the MTB and they have survived well...
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I've tried to break shimano pedals and failed!
  • wolfsbane2k
    Garry H wrote:
    I've tried to break shimano pedals and failed!

I've never managed to break ones before, this is a new feat.

Because i ride no matter the weather, and that includes riding though a shallow ford twice daily, I can only assume the seals have given in and water has I got into the Shimano pedals, same as the btwin ones.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sounds like a fun commute !
  • wolfsbane2k
    cougie wrote:
    Sounds like a fun commute !
    Most days, aye it is. Bloody love it; It's either this level of fun or deal with heavy 60+mph traffic on 40mph roads.
    But I do eat components, 5th chain, and second cassette in as many miles, the mixture of ford water spread, rural road gunk and only weekly cleaning mixed with the power awesome....
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I'm a heavy sod at 120kg ........... But I do eat components

ahhhhh ...

but on topic are any of your pedals serviceable, I would be looking at serviceable pedals and doing some regular maintenance on them ... might involve you regreacing the bearings every month, but that's cheaper than buying pedals
  • wolfsbane2k
    fat daddy wrote:
    I'm a heavy sod at 120kg ........... But I do eat components

ahhhhh ...

but on topic are any of your pedals serviceable, I would be looking at serviceable pedals and doing some regular maintenance on them ... might involve you regreacing the bearings every month, but that's cheaper than buying pedals

None currently, but that's something I need to consider. Any recommendations?