Can't find lowest gear

MishCliff
MishCliff Posts: 14
edited July 2017 in Workshop
Hi

Hoping I can get some advice on what to try next as I'm a bit stuck

I have a '16 Cervelo C3 Ultegra 11sp

I can't find bottom gear using the gear lever.
I have followed the steps to index and set up the Higher and Lower limits, RD and jockeys look about right and the gear changes are lovely up and down.. except I can't select bottom gear.

I can push the RD onto the big sprocket and it stays there but can't select it using the gear lever

Can you guys suggest what to try next please?

Many thanks

H

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If the limit screws ok, try releasing the cable from the RD retainer bolt, and then re-index.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Index them again, and make sure the shifter is set for the highest gear (no tension). Disconnect the cable, set the high and low limits, reconnect the cable, keeping it fairly taught, then fine tune.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • MishCliff
    MishCliff Posts: 14
    Thanks for the tips - tbh I thought I had done that on both occasions I have reindexed but may be not -
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would start by counting the clicks. When you hit the lowest gear is there a nice clean click? If not, there could be some fouling in the shifter. If there is a click and you can manually push the rd into place then that eliminates low stop and probably the shifter.

Out of interest, have you fallen off on the drive side? Could be a bent hanger.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    If the limit screws are set correctly then it could be a damaged cable in the hoods.