Cycle to work for new wheelset

jonnyc1973
jonnyc1973 Posts: 45
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
I know this probably isn't in the spirit of the scheme but has anyone used the scheme to get a better set of wheels?

Basically, I am happy with my bike but am looking to upgrade my wheels to carbon (circa £800-£1000 likely cost) and was thinking if I could get a really cheap bike with upgraded wheels and then just keep the other frame and existing wheels for a winter bike? My employer has a Consumer Credit Licence so I can go over the £1,000 limit.

Anyone done this, or know a shop that would accommodate? Cheers

Comments

• Try phoning Dolan bikes , im sure Terry will help you out.
  • jonnyc1973
    Try phoning Dolan bikes , im sure Terry will help you out.

Thanks, will give them a try. Anyone else with any experience /ideas?
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    The scheme allows this. Evans has the best scheme IMO.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Yeah my LBS put them down as 'Safety Equipment'.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    What scheme do you use? Evans take Cyclescheme and their website specifically state you can do this (blurb about safety equipment then defining what that means). For last year I ordered an Ultegra 6800 groupset, a new TT helmet and quite a bit of Castelli. The groupset was price matched Vs Wiggle, pre Brexit price changes so was only £430. Would have done the same for set of carbon clinchers this year until my work changed to Halfords!
    Though just looked at Evans website and the offering aren't great at that price range. I think I would pick a set of Zipp 302s at £1100 personally. Then it's a toss up as to whether it's worth going to all that hassle Vs buying a set of Prime from Wiggle at around the £650 mark.
  • jonnyc1973
    Cyclescheme so I guess I could do the same. If Evans do it then maybe Wiggle will do similarly?
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    OK, can you all stop shouting about tax evasion!
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    jonnyc1973 wrote:
    Cyclescheme so I guess I could do the same. If Evans do it then maybe Wiggle will do similarly?

Just checked and Wiggle do too now; and you can pick safety related accessories including wheels. So a set of Prime RP-50s would be my choice at £760.
  • jonnyc1973
    Looking at the website it looks like they only sell a limited selection of stuff on cycle to work and Prime wheels not included. Maybe try CRC.
  • timbo_tim
    timbo_tim Posts: 199
    Worth remembering Evans do price match, so assume they might do as part of a C2W scheme? Bound to be some bargains out there they would match to?
  • jonnyc1973
    timbo_tim wrote:
    Worth remembering Evans do price match, so assume they might do as part of a C2W scheme? Bound to be some bargains out there they would match to?

They do but haven't seen many bargains to fair. May just go with the Primes if I can from CRC but would go a bit higher if better options anyone has seen