Is £4k too much for a second hand bike?

FitzM
FitzM Posts: 232
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
Was looking to buy a 2018 Cervelo R3 - £3,999

Then via a club member I was offered the ride of and the opportunity to buy a 2016 bespoke built Cervelo R5 for about the same price as a new R3

I've looked at and rode the 2016 Cervelo R5. It's in as new condition and build cost almost twice that of a new R3
Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028

Comments

• JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    What's the spec of the R5, wheels, groupset, bars etc

What makes it bespoke, is it the fact he bought the frameset and built it up with his preferred choice of components? If so I would have thought most peoples bikes have ended up as bespoke as you change bits all the time from stock.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    If you want it, buy it.
    I'd personally buy the new r3 as it's still an awesome bike and you know more about what it's been through.
  • FitzM
    JesseD wrote:
    What's the spec of the R5, wheels, groupset, bars etc

What makes it bespoke, is it the fact he bought the frameset and built it up with his preferred choice of components? If so I would have thought most peoples bikes have ended up as bespoke as you change bits all the time from stock.

It's probably not fair to the current owner to list his build but in general terms high end carbon wheels and bar with electronic shifting and an Oval crank.
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Way too much... you pay for the warranty... in the absence of a warranty this stuff is worth a small fraction of the original price
    left the forum March 2023
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    FitzM wrote:
    It's probably not fair to the current owner to list his build

Huh why not ? You're potentially buying it, so what does it matter.

:(

But you want advice if it's worth 4K ?

The answer is, how would we know without the spec ?

:roll:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It would have to have one hell of a spec to have truly cost £8k

I assume it's got Lightweights on it, Super Record EPS and really expensive finishing kit.

(It could be the guy who bought it didn't get a good deal too).
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    FitzM wrote:

It's probably not fair to the current owner to list his build but in general terms high end carbon wheels and bar with electronic shifting and an Oval crank.

Odd reply. It's not like people are asking for his bank details or PIN...
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    mfin wrote:

I assume it's got Lightweights on it, Super Record EPS and really expensive finishing kit.

frameset - £3500
    Zipp 404s- £1500
    Dura ace di2 - £2000

thats £7000 without finishing kit.

Its not difficult when speccing up a build using top of the range components for it to easily reach £7-8k

Super record EPS would add another £800-1000 depending on when he bought it to that.
    Lightweights another £2-3000

Bikes these days at the top end cost ridiculous money without being a ridiculous build.
  • dBritain
    dBritain Posts: 37
    Sounds expensive, but depends on the spec.
    You could pick something new up with warranty for cheaper. I'm a huge fan of the Storck's but mostly because i've gotten 2 crazy cheap from the old distributor vielo Sports.

I'm too tight to buy one otherwise ! :P
  • If you are happy with the bike and all the components and think £4k is a fair price then it's worth it to you which is what matters. If you would rather have a new bike with warranty then buy the R3. Also, no harm in negotiating on price with the guy, explain you could get a new R3 for the same price and see what he says.
  • FitzM
    spasypaddy wrote:
    mfin wrote:

frameset - £3500
    Zipp 404s- £1500
    Dura ace di2 - £2000

Its not difficult when speccing up a build using top of the range components for it to easily reach £7-8k

Super record EPS would add another £800-1000 depending on when he bought it to that.

Bikes these days at the top end cost ridiculous money without being a ridiculous build.

You are among the right lines but the wheels were nearer £2,500 :shock:

The build is about £8k using RRP. But we can get carried away with the price of individual components, and if I list them then the responses will go off on a tangent about buying x cheaper elsewhere or if x was swapped for y it would be better/faster/lighter.

My post was more a general question, namely, would you pay £4k for a seconds hand bike (that's covered about 200 miles) that is nearer £8k (RRP) new.

The comment on the Warranty is the greatest food for thought, as I doubt the Warranty is transferable. But if the frame hasn't yet been registered with Cervelo, if I bought it I would be the first (original) Warranty holder?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You can get a whole R5 bike for 3 grand... https://www.nrgcycles.co.uk/60461/produ ... WYQAvD_BwE

I'd not sink that much money into something without a warranty.

Why is the owner selling ?
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    No, their warranty isn't transferable (original owner rather then registration). That's why you take such a hit selling high end bikes.

Bit different maybe in your case as you know the guy so he could possibly process any claim for you. That obviously means he'd have to stay local, you'd need to stay on good terms and you'd be committing fraud so not sure why you as the buyer would have to pay more though!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The R5 does sound like a bit of a bargain if you are planning on spending that kind of money. So the frame isn't covered by the warranty - the components alone are worth a good chunk of the purchase price so you could almost replace the frame and still be ahead in the - relatively unlikely - event that you ever needed to claim on the warranty. I assume the fit is pretty good?

Assuming he is genuine and the bike is as 'as new' as you suggest then I'd take the punt :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fenix
    Why build a superbike and then ride it less than 200 miles and sell for a 4 grand loss ?

That's £20 per mile by my calculations.
  • FitzM
    Svetty wrote:
    The R5 does sound like a bit of a bargain if you are planning on spending that kind of money. So the frame isn't covered by the warranty - the components alone are worth a good chunk of the purchase price so you could almost replace the frame and still be ahead in the - relatively unlikely - event that you ever needed to claim on the warranty. I assume the fit is pretty good?

Assuming he is genuine and the bike is as 'as new' as you suggest then I'd take the punt :)

Yep he's genuine. Like me he has more bikes than sense. And we both use the same LBS. They are Cervelo dealers, look after my existing Cervelo S3 and built his R5
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    The warranty is transferable if original proof of purchase is available and LBS is 'understanding'.

I've spent over £10k on my S5 but would probably not even get £5k for it if sold as an entire bike.

Since the R5 has now been replaced with a newer model, I would say the older (grey/red) model is not worth more than £3k regardless of kit on it.

If it's the new R5 and a size 56, send me his details ;)
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • FitzM
    Ryan_W wrote:
    The warranty is transferable if original proof of purchase is available and LBS is 'understanding'.

I've spent over £10k on my S5 but would probably not even get £5k for it if sold as an entire bike.

Since the R5 has now been replaced with a newer model, I would say the older (grey/red) model is not worth more than £3k regardless of kit on it.

If it's the new R5 and a size 56, send me his details ;)

Yep it's the Red/Grey :(
    And too small for you :P
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    No, not me
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    FitzM wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    mfin wrote:

frameset - £3500
    Zipp 404s- £1500
    Dura ace di2 - £2000

You are among the right lines but the wheels were nearer £2,500 :shock:

The build is about £8k using RRP. But we can get carried away with the price of individual components, and if I list them then the responses will go off on a tangent about buying x cheaper elsewhere or if x was swapped for y it would be better/faster/lighter.

My post was more a general question, namely, would you pay £4k for a seconds hand bike (that's covered about 200 miles) that is nearer £8k (RRP) new.

The comment on the Warranty is the greatest food for thought, as I doubt the Warranty is transferable. But if the frame hasn't yet been registered with Cervelo, if I bought it I would be the first (original) Warranty holder?
    Question.
    Who sells a bike at a £4k loss after only 200 miles? :o
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    FitzM wrote:
    They are Cervelo dealers, look after my existing Cervelo S3 and built his R5

The "look after my S3" makes me smile.... its a bike, not a BMW :-)

I've been building/"looking after" road bikes since i was 12. its not rocket science!
  • mfin
    If the bike was truly £8k at best prices in 2016 and has covered 200 miles, with everything on it being 200 miles old, then I'd be considering it myself IF it had a groupset and wheels on it that I'd really want.

Ask the LBS if they'll help out with any warranty claim should it happen.

Oh... as per "looking after my S3", I agree, it's a bike FFS.
  • FitzM
    mfin wrote:
    If the bike was truly £8k at best prices in 2016 and has covered 200 miles, with everything on it being 200 miles old, then I'd be considering it myself IF it had a groupset and wheels on it that I'd really want.

Ask the LBS if they'll help out with any warranty claim should it happen.

Oh... as per "looking after my S3", I agree, it's a bike FFS.

TBH the wheels are too good for the average club rider (me), they are better suited to some one who races.

It's a great groupset, I have the same one on my Cervelo S3

Yes I agree it's only bike and I could "look after it myself" and do. But I also believe in supporting my LBS. So there will be times when I'm out riding one bike while they fettle my other bike. That works for me. :)
  • fenix
    But WHY is he selling it ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Fenix wrote:
    But WHY is he selling it ?

Not expensive enough...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    It depends on whether you consider looking after a bike to be just more drudgery.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I'd be wanting to know why he is selling it, but if I was happy with his response I'd seriously consider buying
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    Are you going to keep the kit (assuming it comes with it)? The R5 is not a custom bike - its a stock frame with your choice of components. It enjoys a good reputation but Cervelo are not strangers to warranty claims. Doesn't make them a bad bike but you pays the money.............
  • mfin
    IF the guy is selling it as he fancies a change or is buying a new model, after using it for 200 miles, we can safely say what the guy is.

C'mon OP, why is he selling it?
  • FitzM
    mfin wrote:
    IF the guy is selling it as he fancies a change or is buying a new model, after using it for 200 miles, we can safely say what the guy is.

C'mon OP, why is he selling it?

He's an N+1, sadly I am too. He has other great bikes. too The R5 has covered hardly any miles since he bought it, so he wants to sell it. He's a decent bloke, I'm not going to use thumbscrews to see if he has a 'motive'. It's the bike that's of interest to me not his reasons for selling it.