Disc Wheels Upgrade for CX Bike

annadale0
annadale0 Posts: 4
edited July 2017 in Cyclocross
Looking for some advice and recommendations!

Am currently using a 2014 Boardman CX Team on the stock Mavic wheels. Am looking to upgrade the wheels for the CX season - Have a budget of £300-£450 approx and would like option to run tubeless. Thanks in advance

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Looked at Hunt? If I had that budget that's probably where i'd go.

edit: not used them myself, just read good things.
  • joey54321 wrote:
    Looked at Hunt? If I had that budget that's probably where i'd go.

edit: not used them myself, just read good things.

Never done CX, but I've got a pair of the 4season disc road aero which - to me - are amazing. They're also more than double what I'd ever spent on wheels beforehand, but still - I heartily recommend them as a company. However, I know some people around these forums who are knowledgeable about wheels are a bit ambivalent about them, and at this price range the idea of handbuilts is always floated...
  • annadale0
    Thanks for the replies...yes have seen Hunt wheels and the different opinions on them too
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Cero or Superstar.

Get two sets with your budget, nearly.

Cero work really well tubeless. Superstar don't but you should get tubular anyway. Although I do know one person who reckons tubeless is just as good. Actually, make that two. And they are both top 5 nationally so not chancers.
  • Jterrier
    Jterrier Posts: 97
    I did exactly the same to my boardman. The best deal i found was via ebay, there is a wheelbuilder in poland called bikestacja.pl, and they built me a set of stans crest 3 rims onto novatec hubs with cx ray spokes, for just on 300 quid. Total bargain. They transformed the bike and feel virtually weightless, and i use them tubeless with schwalbe x ones...
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    DT Swiss R23 - Wide, strong, light-ish and tubeless...

https://www.mantel.com/uk/dt-swiss-r23- ... d-wheelset

Hunt are also very good, but DT Swiss arguably the better wheel. It's wider, better hub, rim, but claimed to be 70g heavier.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • annadale0
    Jterrier wrote:
    I did exactly the same to my boardman. The best deal i found was via ebay, there is a wheelbuilder in poland called bikestacja.pl, and they built me a set of stans crest 3 rims onto novatec hubs with cx ray spokes, for just on 300 quid. Total bargain. They transformed the bike and feel virtually weightless, and i use them tubeless with schwalbe x ones...

Excellent, I'll give them a shout!

Did you stay with the six bolt set up?

I'm thinks of changing the Avid BB5 too, the take a lot of fettling, did you keep yours out of interest?