quattro vs ultegra wheels?

mikedp5
mikedp5 Posts: 5
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
I have cannondale optimo which i am changing the groupset to ultegra. However i needed new wheels. Here are my choices:

1. BNEW ultegra wheels for $270 pair
2. USED fulcrum quattro 6 months used for roughly $210 95% brake line

Which one to get? Thanks guys!

Comments

• mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Personally i'd go for the Brand new ones, as you have a warranty with them.
  • mikedp5
    mac9091 wrote:
    Personally i'd go for the Brand new ones, as you have a warranty with them.
    What if for performance alone? Not cause of the warranty?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Not heard of the 6's. Is this just a variant of the quattro, perhaps supplied OEM as stock?

The Ultegras are OK. Very good cup/cone (so serviceable) hubs that should last a lifetime but the rims will be shot long before you pop your clogs. Fairly decent weight wise for the money although the RS81s offer a little more zip (and cost more) as the hubs are the same but the wheels have a carbon integrated wrap rim to reduce weight and perhaps provide some smoothness (I certainly thought they were 'nicer' to ride). Looking old hat now when it comes to width (15mm, IIRC) but they are ok with 25s and do all the basics well.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    mikedp5 wrote:
    I have cannondale optimo which i am changing the groupset to ultegra. However i needed new wheels. Here are my choices:

1. BNEW ultegra wheels for $270 pair
    2. USED fulcrum quattro 6 months used for roughly $210 95% brake line

Which one to get? Thanks guys!
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Not heard of the 6's. Is this just a variant of the quattro, perhaps supplied OEM as stock?

He meant that the Quattros were used for 6 months.

Having owned both 6700 Ultegras and 2013 Quattros, I'd go for the quattros, yes theyre approx. 200g heavier but theyre stiffer yet more comfortable than the Ultegras and to me seemed faster. They also looked much nicer.
  • mikedp5
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Having owned both 6700 Ultegras and 2013 Quattros, I'd go for the quattros, yes theyre approx. 200g heavier but theyre stiffer yet more comfortable than the Ultegras and to me seemed faster. They also looked much nicer.[/quote]

Is the 6700 ultegra same as 6800? The ultegra wheel i can get is the 6800 model
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    MugenSi wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Having owned both 6700 Ultegras and 2013 Quattros, I'd go for the quattros, yes theyre approx. 200g heavier but theyre stiffer yet more comfortable than the Ultegras and to me seemed faster. They also looked much nicer.

Ah yes, silly mistake :-) Personally, I didn't have an issue with flex on the Ultegras or RS81s but I am 65kg so don't produce too much wattage.

Personally, I would plump for the Quattro LG as they are a little overweight but wider rim/better profile. OP, just check that you are not being offered the older Quattros with the narrower rim....not that a 15mm is the worst thing in the world. I did a long ride at the w/e on 15mm Open Pros running 25mm tyres :-)

Might also be worth having a look at Racing 5 LG. All much of a muchness really, there are no big bangs offered against wheelsets in the same general group. Most will be nicer to ride than what the stock wheels will be but you will soon get used to the new normal.
  • mikedp5
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Ah yes, silly mistake :-) Personally, I didn't have an issue with flex on the Ultegras or RS81s but I am 65kg so don't produce too much wattage.

Personally, I would plump for the Quattro LG as they are a little overweight but wider rim/better profile. OP, just check that you are not being offered the older Quattros with the narrower rim....not that a 15mm is the worst thing in the world. I did a long ride at the w/e on 15mm Open Pros running 25mm tyres :-)

Might also be worth having a look at Racing 5 LG. All much of a muchness really, there are no big bangs offered against wheelsets in the same general group. Most will be nicer to ride than what the stock wheels will be but you will soon get used to the new normal.
    Yeah i was really paying attention to the LG versions of the quattro. Well if they all are the same for this price i might go for looks. What do you think has the better visual impact? Fulcrum quattros right?
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    mikedp5 wrote:
    Is the 6700 ultegra same as 6800? The ultegra wheel i can get is the 6800 model

6700 will be limited to 10 speed cassettes I believe. 6800 will allow you to go to 11 speed.