Ultegra direct mount Brake Calipers

delv4
delv4 Posts: 28
edited July 2017 in Workshop
I'm having trouble centralising these calipers to get even rim clearance on each side with certain wheels.

Mavic Aksium's that came with the bike are no problem.

A set of Prime wheels from my other roadie suffered brake rub until I screwed at the little 2mm centering screw and managed to get them to run freely without rub BUT only when the caliper quick release is left half open/closed.

With a set of deep section carbons I cant get the caliper to centralise correctly at all even with the caliper quick release fully open.

Obviously the Caliper's have a maximum rim width they can cope with but surely they should have enough clearance to cope with most "standard" roadie wheelsets on the market today?

Is there any useful tips/advice/techniques to get a better adjustment? (I have watched a couple of youtube vids) Nothing is seized the calipers are brand new and when you screw the centralising screw I can see the caliper arms shifting left or right depending on which direction I turn the centralising screw.

Thinner brake pads would solve the issue but surely this shouldn't be necessary.

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It sounds to me like you need to release some cable tension. More than achieved by using the QR lever.

As Morrissey says: some rims are bigger than others.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • delv4
    Cheers, never even thought about cable tension cos of these new fangled calipers but now that you mention it it makes perfect sense!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Delv4 wrote:
    Cheers, never even thought about cable tension cos of these new fangled calipers but now that you mention it it makes perfect sense!

Got direct mount on my Reacto and I hate them, particularly the rear brake mounted under the BB. Bad, bad idea.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • delv4
    edited February 2020
    philthy3 wrote:
    Got direct mount on my Reacto and I hate them, particularly the rear brake mounted under the BB. Bad, bad idea.

I actually love them, they feel a much better stronger brake to me. My rear caliper is in the normal location though so none of the under bb road grime to seize it up.