First Audax

cld531c
cld531c Posts: 517
edited September 2017 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
Hi
Doing my first Audax in September, only 137k but a fair few nasty hills.
Got myself a Garmin to download the route to as the printed instrustions may aswell have been in Russian for what sense they made to me. Will be keeping Cateye on incase of Garmin issues.
Any tips from experianced Audaxers?
Thanks

Comments

• craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Not sure how much experience you have riding generally but a few pointers.

Try to get a ride in fairly close (within a couple of weeks if possible) at at least 80% of the mileage you'll do on the day.

Keep eating and drinking, don't forget to do this when you're tired as it's common to forget when you start to fatigue.

Again, depending on how much riding you've done in the past, but I found on the first 165k Audax I did I tried to stick with a group who were too quick for me and at the first stop at 50k I was feeling wrecked and didn't enjoy the next 80k. Ride at your own pace.

Enjoy it, they're great fun and usually a good mob of people do them.
  • cld531c
    Cheers.
    Getting the mileage in at the moment and hill training coming soon! Im pretty confident about completing it OK (despite the state I may be in afterwards) - my main concern is getting lost! Good tip re not going off too fast, will hopefully find a sedate group to ride with otherwise it couldbe a long day...
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Which one is it? Some of the smaller ones might only have a few dozen riders in them and you could find yourself riding alone.

Following the route sheets seems to be a lost art, what with these new fangled gps things - *if* you can find a way to mount the directions on your bars, so you're aware of what the next instruction is and how far away it's going to be, they make much more sense once you're in the zone.

GPS does make life easy, providing it doesn't run out of battery or crash on you (and make sure the route is uploaded to it and working *before* you turn up at the start, been with plenty of folk who suddenly find out the transfer hasn't worked for some reason).

The guys over at yacf are quite into their audaxes, you may find some chat their more useful.
  • cld531c
    It's Mommas Mountain Views, 2 September.
    I might get myself a map and see if i can decipher the instructions - I have old gears hence wires at the front so Im sure a laminator and a couple of pegs will do the trick (if I can work out what they mean).
    Will have a look at yacf, thanks
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I laminate the route sheet and found I can slip it in between my bottle cage and frame rather than in a jersey pocket. My pockets are usually full of food and clothing as I don't have any other bags on my bike except a tiny saddle bag with tube and tool in it, so getting a sheet in and out was tricky. Obviously depends on your bottle cage design.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    You'll be fine. GPX is all you need. I always print and laminate the instructions, but rarely use them, other than to check where the controls are.

On the Audax website there is a lowdown of what means what, like L@T means left at the T junction SO means straight over, SP is signposted and so on.

Remember it's not a sportive, you don't have to ride furiously to oblivion... you've got plenty of time to go around the route
    left the forum March 2023
  • cld531c
    You'll be fine. GPX is all you need. I always print and laminate the instructions, but rarely use them, other than to check where the controls are.

On the Audax website there is a lowdown of what means what, like L@T means left at the T junction SO means straight over, SP is signposted and so on.

Remember it's not a sportive, you don't have to ride furiously to oblivion... you've got plenty of time to go around the route

Thanks - will look at the Audax site more closely - if I know the code will have a better chance of deciphering it :D
    Looking forward to it as I have a suspicion that Audaxers (is that a word?) are my kind of people...
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Do a bit of prep by working through the route on Google Maps so you know roughly where it goes. Use Streetview to have a look at the junctions/turns to give you a preview of what to expect. For 137 kms you shouldn't have Garmin battery life issues so hopefully the route sheet won't be required. I'd stick it in my back pocket just in case.

Take a small pencil/pen like the ones you get from Ikea/Bookies to write the answer to any info controls.

Have fun!
  • ugo.santalucia
    cld531c wrote:
    Looking forward to it as I have a suspicion that Audaxers (is that a word?) are my kind of people...

There are very nice people as well as truly awful people there too... what you won't probably find is the level of competititiveness that you find in sportives... nobody will try to murder you coming down a descent, these sort of things don't happen.
  • cld531c
    Thanks all
  • Ankles50
    Ankles50 Posts: 53
    Make sure you've set your computers to Km

Small pen (borrowed from the local bookmakers) in the saddle bag

I write the check point distances in biro on the top of my wrist, so i don't have to keep fishing the brevet card out to remind myself when the next one is
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    If you can get the route off RideWithGPS and download it to your Garmin you will have turn by turn directions. That's what I did for the first one I did.
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    PS Good luck!!
  • cld531c
    Thanks all!
  • I have now completed two audaxes, both 200 km routes.
    So what did I find out....
      The routes are available on ridewithGPS and can be downloaded onto GPS with turn by turn directions. You need to pace yourself - because you can do a club run of 40 miles at 19 mph doesn't mean you can do 200k @ similar speed. Don't attack things - aerobic workrate is key through the day. Similarly no calorie debt or hydration issues - eat and drink well. Lastly, you will find out stuff about yourself, and your ability to persevere and keep going (bleak moments are part of it!!).

Good luck
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Nice one. If you can do 200 you can do a 300 !
  • ugo.santalucia
    Brakeless wrote:
    Nice one. If you can do 200 you can do a 400 !

FTFY :wink:
  • cld531c
    Brakeless wrote:

First one (next week) is only 137km with 2000m of climbs but mentally planning to try and do a super randonneur at some point! Baby steps:-)
    Will let you know how it went and thanks again all :-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    cld531c wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

First one (next week) is only 137km with 2000m of climbs but mentally planning to try and do a super randonneur at some point! Baby steps:-)

The GPS has it at 130 km with 1600 mt of climbing... not to bad

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/17079471
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    Good luck! Something I'm interested in trying at some point, maybe next year. Let us know how it goes :)
  • cld531c
    cld531c wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

The GPS has it at 130 km with 1600 mt of climbing... not to bad

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/17079471

Prefer that to the 2000 it says on the web :-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    cld531c wrote:

Some organisers over hype the climbing to attract those AUK members who collect AAA points. I have done AAA events that turned out to be fairly flat... this was one of them (stunning course though)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1074990618
  • cld531c
    cld531c wrote:

Some organisers over hype the climbing to attract those AUK members who collect AAA points. I have done AAA events that turned out to be fairly flat... this was one of them (stunning course though)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1074990618

That looks a lovely route - maybe one for next year.
    Glad to hear re the climbing - thought I had dropped a boo boo picking one with 2 AAA points rather than none!
  • Brakeless
    cld531c wrote:

Some organisers over hype the climbing to attract those AUK members who collect AAA points.

If they did (they don't) they would be called out pretty quickly.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Brakeless wrote:

It's the age old problem of how you measure it. I have found most GPX files suppied by the organisers to come short of elevation with both RidewithGPS and BIkehike. Then of course you ride them with a Garmin 800, plot them on Strava and come up even bigger than the organisers claim.

I am led to believe AUK have developed their own tool which are going to roll out for organisers. I submitted a GPX for a permanent to the AAA secretary and with the tool it came up 1.5 K... when Bikehike gave it at 1.7, so it might well be a few events will lose their AAA
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless wrote:

It's the age old problem of how you measure it. I have found most GPX files suppied by the organisers to come short of elevation with both RidewithGPS and BIkehike. Then of course you ride them with a Garmin 800, plot them on Strava and come up even bigger than the organisers claim.

I am led to believe AUK have developed their own tool which are going to roll out for organisers. I submitted a GPX for a permanent to the AAA secretary and with the tool it came up 1.5 K... when Bikehike gave it at 1.7, so it might well be a few events will lose their AAA

That's very different to organisers 'overhyping' thier events.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Stupid question: what sort of bikes are needed for these types of ride? Are there rules?

I'm quite keen to try one, but don't have GPX option and am also quite slow, so would need to build up to the mileage

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • cld531c
    SecretSam wrote:
    Stupid question: what sort of bikes are needed for these types of ride? Are there rules?

I'm quite keen to try one, but don't have GPX option and am also quite slow, so would need to build up to the mileage

From Audax UK
    "What kind of bike is best for Audax?
    The truth is, anything will do. But make sure it is roadworthy, well maintained and checked over before the start of any long ride.
    The most popular type of bike is something at the 'fast' end of 'touring', and many UK manufacturers now offer bikes badged as 'Audax' or 'Randonneur', which will have quite a lot in common with a lightweight steel-framed club racing bike while retaining the necessary clearances and brazings for mudguards and a luggage rack."

Im going to give Saturday a go without the rack and mudguards, need all the help I can get :-)
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    SecretSam wrote:

Literally anything will do. On a typical Audax you will see Fast aero carbon bikes, steel framed tourers, tandams, trikes, recumbents, maybe even Eliptigos. Some Organisers do insist on mudguards particularly in spring and autumn. The only rules are to do the event under your own steam (no electrical assist)

You will get a route sheet (you will need to print out your own) to follow if you're not high tech. With regards to Mileage, try out a 100k event first. They give you 8 hours to get round so you do not need to be fast.
  • ugo.santalucia
    A few I have seen

moulton.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

A folding Moulton

fixed.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

Jeffrey's very elegant 69-inch fixie with badly worn out tyres

roubaix.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

A modern one with discs and front suspension

quest.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

A very modern one, capable of 70 mph!!