Sram rival 1 x hydraulic

Midlands Grimpeur
Midlands Grimpeur Posts: 340
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
Anyone own or used the sram rival 1 x hydraulic group (or any of the others; force/apex)? Would be going on a gravel bike so particularly interested how it holds up to mud/dirt/dust as well as general shifting and braking performance?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    I've got Apex 1. Not had it too long, but I've done some rides in nasty conditions. It's basically the same technology as the MTB stuff, so no real concerns, and I've not had any problems. Braking's fantastic. Shifting's fine once you get used to Doubletap - I do occasionally still shift up when planning to shift down, but it's easily rectified. I'm using it with a 42t NW chainring, and a choice of 11-32 (road rides) and 11-42 (off road) cassettes. You definitely want a NW chainring, it really helps with the chain retention.
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    I've been running Force 1 on my Bokeh for a couple of thousand miles so far. It's been used on and off road and been absolutely faultless.
    I'm running a 42t up front with a 10/42 at the back and the gearing has been perfect for me. The brakes are good but the pads are a bit pricey and don't seem to be available from any of the aftermarket suppliers yet. I find that the brakes are a bit noisier than Shimano but once you get used to it they're fine.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I've been using Sram 1x in 10sp guise (S700) and functionally it's great. Shifting is what you'd expect from Sram and braking is good. Only thing i'd mention is that I don't find the hood shape very comfortable, so it could be worth trying it out first.

Superstar and Evans (FWE) do aftermarket pads, although only the Sram ones come with a replacement retaining pin. Useful if, like me, you shredded the old pin when trying to remove it as they appear to be made of cheese.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Crossed wrote:
    The brakes are good but the pads are a bit pricey and don't seem to be available from any of the aftermarket suppliers yet. I find that the brakes are a bit noisier than Shimano but once you get used to it they're fine.

If it's the same pads as in the rival hydro brakes, it's the Superstar A7 pads you want. Unfortunately they seem to be out of stock.
  • Cheers all for the replies, I am going ahead with Rival 1 x then.