Self builds

BOSSNUT.DAVE
BOSSNUT.DAVE Posts: 102
edited July 2017 in MTB buying advice
How hard is it to self build from just buying a frame. The only bad point I can think of would be to seat the head race bearings.

Comments

• wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 296
    edited July 2017
    With Google, YouTube, Forums etc - Not very difficult.
    Exact tools and complexity depends upon the frame and chosen components but research and take your time and don't panic.
    The reward and satisfaction of building your own bike is well worth it
    I had only basic fettling experience but built my own Kinesis hardtail four years or so ago. Choosing components and finding bargains all add to the experience. Actual build was an afternoon and to this day the bike has not been into a bike shop.
    I have since changed bottom brackets, headsets, cables etc etc without any concern as the building experience has given me the knowledge and confidence to know how it all goes together
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • midgehulluk
    midgehulluk Posts: 195
    Do it! It's a lot easier then you think, plenty of help available out there like mentioned above. I built my own a couple of years ago for the first time ever and it's the way I'll do it next
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    It's generally pretty straightforward. Modern components fit together surprisingly well and if you follow the instructions and fit them properly they work as expected.

Depending what sort of frame you're looking at I would recommend something with a 44/56 tapered head tube, a 68 mm threaded bottom bracket shell and a 31.6 seat tube. There's a lot of component choice in these categories and ime it all fits together like Lego.

Headsets can be fitted with a hammer/bits of wood/threaded rod but a proper press makes fitting as easy as turning a door handle.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I build all my own bikes and those of family and a few friends, dead easy, the only thing to watch, as mentioned is getting fork and frame compatible.

Links in my sig to some of the builds.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    built my last 3 bikes from frame only deals. only think I've had to get done is headset. got the tools for everything else.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've built a few. It's pretty easy. Most of the tools are cheap and once you've got them they're useful for maintenance.
    When you've built your own bike you'll easily be able to do all your own servicing and repairs.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    As said above it's really quite easy.
    I've built the last four bikes I've owned(2 MTBs,2 Road) and can't see me ever buying an off-the-peg bike again.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Easy peasy, and if you get a frame that takes an integrated headset that's even easier.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • BOSSNUT.DAVE
    BOSSNUT.DAVE Posts: 102
    I've taken the shop route this time as i need a bike quickly. Due to bad circumstances of timing.
    But the bike shop and i spec'd it as a special build.

It will be the last time i do this. And just play about with own builds. Cheers guys.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Block of wood plus hammer=headset inserted, works fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The Rookie wrote:
    Block of wood plus hammer=headset inserted, works fine.
    Worked for me for years too 8)