Do Ksyrium Elites really fail as often as the web would suggest

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
Finally got to work out a cost effective spec for some handbuilts using the new OP UST rims but even then by the time you add in Mavic valves, rim tape, sealant and the unknown Mavic UST tyres the whole set up is going to cost near on £600! This is based on Hope RS4 hubs.
The alternative I am looking at is the new Ksyrium Elites UST which by some fluke I can get for £400 all in. I am 14st now and I don't want to spark the Handbuilt vs Factory debate but would like to know if at my weight are the rim cracking issues really likely to occur and what is the reality of this issue as the web is full of stories about rim failure affecting all Ksyrium Elites going back 10 years but obviously not the current new version.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Bear in mind over the years the Elite have probably been the biggest selling wheels, so it's no wonder there are a few rims cracked on the web.
    Annoyingly virtually every report I have read mentions "just outside the warranty period", but I know quite a few people who own a set of very old Ksyriums which never failed.

600 seems a lot for a pair of alloy wheels to be honest (even including tyres).

I wonder if Mavic offer an extended warranty at a cost, worth investigating
    left the forum March 2023
  • bmxboy10
    Bear in mind over the years the Elite have probably been the biggest selling wheels, so it's no wonder there are a few rims cracked on the web.
    Annoyingly virtually every report I have read mentions "just outside the warranty period", but I know quite a few people who own a set of very old Ksyriums which never failed.

600 seems a lot for a pair of alloy wheels to be honest (even including tyres).

I wonder if Mavic offer an extended warranty at a cost, worth investigating

I think if you register the wheels with Mavic you get two years warranty.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I know, all failures seem to happen in the third year :-(
  • bmxboy10
    I know, all failures seem to happen in the third year :-(
    Well I probably will have flogged them by then!
  • ugo.santalucia
    If you are looking for short term, why considering Hope? That's for folks like me, who like to keep stuff
  • bmxboy10
    If you are looking for short term, why considering Hope? That's for folks like me, who like to keep stuff
    Just because of the reputation, drilling options and colours.
    Ultegra would be fine but I don't want 32/32 and the Miche just don't do it for me.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    My Elites are over 10 years old. Done nothing to them at all, hubs are fine, rims still true

Now relegated to the turbo as the rims are getting a little thin to squeeze brake pads onto
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    I bought a set of Elites a few years back. At the start of last summer, I broke a rear spoke in them. I had CRC repair them - cost me £18, and they've been going ever since.

I have about 7500-8000 miles on them, and I am heavier than your good self OP.
  • bmxboy10
    I bought a set of Elites a few years back. At the start of last summer, I broke a rear spoke in them. I had CRC repair them - cost me £18, and they've been going ever since.

I have about 7500-8000 miles on them, and I am heavier than your good self OP.
    Great thanks for the feedback
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I have Elites, R-Sys, R-Sys SLR, Cosmic Carbone, Cosmic Carbone Exalith and CXR-80s. The only problem I have had with any of them is freehub squeal on the R-Sys SLR when I failed to lube it. Oh, and I pretzled a front Elite when a van drove into me. Hardly Mavic's fault. Otherwise stiff and bombproof IME.

I'm 80kg, so lighter than you. YMMV.
  • bmxboy10
    Just checked and it's a three year warranty on the Mavics which I think is pretty good!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    solboy10 wrote:
    Just checked and it's a three year warranty on the Mavics which I think is pretty good!

Indeed, if you register with them it is 3 year warranty, and they also have a crash-replacement program.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra