Headgear for hot climbs

domcarr
domcarr Posts: 85
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm doing a Pyrenean coast-to-coast in the summer and am looking for ideas to keep sweat out of my eyes on the long climbs......any suggestions that won't involve me burning up??!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    a cycling cap, soak it in water for extra cooling
    left the forum March 2023
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    I suffered a lot with the "sweat in the eyes" problem earlier this year. Against my sartorial judgement I bought a Castelli Summer Headband. So far it's working well and no sweat in the eyes, plus the top of my head is still open to the helmet vents. I've just ordered another one.

Expensive for what it is but worth it to stop the sweat problem.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Assos robofoil cap ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • coops1967
    coops1967 Posts: 99
    DeSoto skin cooler beanie - use these in Thailand, and you may want to get a DeSoto long sleeve skin cooler top. No zip, but excellent and sun protection for the arms.

https://www.desotosport.com/collections ... 3385921991
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Vaseline above your eyes
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    After just being in the Alps last week, my advice would be..on all uphills ..helmet off...clipped around stem..and a bandana or similar drenched in cool water around your neck..and something like chewing gum to keep your mouth moving or it will dry up...if the climbs are as long and the heat as hot...no amount of water in bidons will be enough!!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    ride faster, the cooling air will blow away any sweat.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    The simplest suggestion is the headband and it works.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • redscouse
    redscouse Posts: 157
    Castelli headband is great.. Kask mojito pours sweat into my eyes.. Headband sorted the problem
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    In addition to all of the above make sure you select the right suncream.

I am totally bald and hence always put a layer of sun cream on my head and face even if wearing a helmet and skull cap. There's coffee stops and lunch and I'll often take my helmet off when it gets too hot so need the protection.

I found that some suncreams just run into your eyes with the sweat and it hurts like hell. P20 seems to be better at staying on the head despite the sweat.

It's pricey but it lasts all day and I don't get that eye sting.

247954011_0_640x640.jpg