Stupid Question Time...

Crazyjenkins01
Crazyjenkins01 Posts: 409
edited July 2017 in MTB beginners
Hey all, daft question. How do you work out when it's time to replace tyres?
I've had my maxxis HRII and Ardent for about 18months on 2 bikes, and set tubeless for nearly a year now on the full suss. The front keeps going flat (leaking through a spoke nipple) although not all the time and not during a ride, so I need to retape the rim when I change the tyres or it gets worse.
Problem is I dont know if I should do it now, or wait a bit longer as the tread still looks pretty good. I am suffering rear wheel break out a bit more often now and the front has tried to go a few times recently, but could that be bad technique?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Like any tyre really, look at what you want it to do, if it's no longer doing it then time to change.

It depends where you ride for example, some surfaces require very little (or on road, none at all) tread, but the more you need to dig into/through the surface the more tread you need for the tyre to work FOR YOU on THAT surface.

It's not like a car tyre where it's fairly obvious it's had it as the car is on the same surface all the time.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Rookie,

I kinda figured it would be something like that.
    Just don't want to go changing the tyres just because I've got the new ones if there is still life in the old ones! Not only a waste of whats left on the old ones, but the new tyres were over £80 so don't want to change them til I need to.
    As its been fairly dry recently, it may just be the trails are a bit dusty and loose and I haven't taken that into account in my riding.