Self Extracting Crank Collar

Erasmus
Erasmus Posts: 48
edited July 2017 in Workshop
Hi. Having just felt smug with myself for servicing a 'new' style headset, I was then brought down to earth with a bump when I tackled the cranks and BB.

I have an FSA BB386 Evo, and couldn't figure out why it didn't self extract with a 10mm allen key - until I realised the collar had been lost so nothing to push against.

From what I can see, there is a BB30 collar from various shops for about a tenner - does anyone know if this would fit 386? Also, is there a version available that screws in with an allen key as opposed to pin tool (I have tried googling, but drew a blank).

Thanks,
John

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    I don't think there is, it would need a larger Allen Key than 10 mm, if 10 mm is the one you use to extract. Tentatively I would say it is unlikely FSA makes one cap for the BB30 and a different one for BB386... why would they?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Erasmus
    Erasmus Posts: 48
    Thanks Ugo, and I take your point on the 10mm allen key needing to fit through the collar!

I also agree on your comment about why make 2 sizes, so I'm going to get the one I can find for FSA.

Thanks again, John