Squeaking SRAM 22 red chain

flopstocks
flopstocks Posts: 110
edited July 2017 in Workshop
After purchasing a brand new SRAM 22 red chain and installing on my Chorus setup it had a very annoying squeak. I have since removed it, cleaned and degreased then relubed. My friend then installed it on his DuraAce setup with exactly the same issue.

I purchased it from Evans cycles about 6 months ago, would I be able to return it? As it was squeaking right from day one.

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    My immediate thought is that there is most probably a problem with the chain. Only as you said it didn't work on a Shimano drive chain... or it may be a compatibility issue.
    Campag chains have a slightly different link profile but saying that. 11 speed KMC chains for example, are cross compatible with both shimano, campag and Sram. I'm not entirely sure about 10 speed versions.

I think it's a bit late to want to return it to Evans.

Is the squeak continuous or intermittent?
    Have you done the obvious and checked for a protruding pin or a stiff link? Is it installed with a quick link or a pressed pin? Sometimes, when installing it by the pin method, you can push the pin too far. You can get away with the pin being slightly protruding on the chainstay side but not on the other as it clashes with the adjacent cog.
    Some chains have a drive side and have to be fitted in the right direction. You may have one that is directionally specific.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!