Advice - SPD-L Pedals and shoes ?

bilabonic
bilabonic Posts: 299
edited August 2017 in Road beginners
Hi All

Getting back into road biking and i have only used mountain bike SPD pedals/shoes/cleats.....

I have used the SPD's on my last road bike but they weigh a tonne !! BUT were very easy to get in/out off.

Anyone recommend a light set of pedals shoes with cleats ?

How do they compare 'getting in/out' compared to MTB SPD's ??

Any advice welcome...

Cheers guys.
Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    SPD-SL pedals aren't much lighter than their MTB SPD pedal counterparts and are usually single-sided only.
    However, SPD-SL shoes are often lighter than their MTB counterparts. There are a few MTB SPD compatible shoes that are relatively speaking quite light (certain Mavic shoes for instance) .

You will find that SPD-SL pedals are much stiffer to engage and dis-engage as compared to SPD MTB pedals (and have less float). The main advantage with SPD-SL pedals is that they have a larger surface area to spread the load and the shoes are generally stiffer. This equates to overall better power-transfer, but for us mortals it's mostly about spreading the load more evenly over your foot - so less of a pressure-point on longer rides.
    Cycling weakly
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    I am mostly a roadie, but i do a lot of MTB too. My advice? stick on SPD. Thats what i did. You can actually walk with them, and i found them much more practical.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Try speedplay. Very light pedals. Let's not weigh the cleats eh ? It's not like anyone ever picks up your shoes anyway.