Greg Lemond

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2017 in Pro race
Now, Greg has always been a hero of mine. He was there when I first got into cycling, is responsible for some of my favourite cycling moments ever etc.

Is it me or is this Eurosport gig not doing him any favours? When Sean K is on, I feel like he's in touch with what's going on but when Greg turns up I just want it to stop...

Is it just me?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    No, it's not just you. A great rider, and a pretty brave guy over the years, but he's not suited to a TV role.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I've not seen much of Eurosport this year, but on past appearances LeMond has struck me as the sort of person I could convince that the moon landings were faked.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    The opening 5 mins of the LA documentary on Netflix tells you all you need to know about Lemond ... His wife is scared sh!tless about saying the 'wrong thing' …
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Watch "Slaying the Badger" by by Richard Moore.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    FocusZing wrote:
    Watch "Slaying the Badger" by by Richard Moore.
    By John Dower. Moore wrote the book. Dower wrote and directed the film.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    When you're exposed to Lemond then Juan Antonio Flecha in rapid succession on Eurosport you do start to wonder if Joey Essex will be up next.
  • salsiccia1
    I'm OK with Flecha, I think he's pretty charismatic and connects well with the riders he interviews.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Can't stand Lemond. I get not everyone is a fan of Sky, just as others don't like Moviestar or Astana etc, but Lemond seems to have a hard on for tryIng to stir the shite for Sky and Froome in order to big up his lovefest for Quintana.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Can't stand Lemond. I get not everyone is a fan of Sky, just as others don't like Moviestar or Astana etc, but Lemond seems to have a hard on for tryIng to stir the shite for Sky and Froome in order to big up his lovefest for Quintana.

Lemond and Mrs Lemond also give ears to the conspiracy theorists (motors etc). Their choice, but its cray
  • salsiccia1
    Given the shenanigans LeMond went through with Hinault, his career being prematurely ended by rampant EPO use, being nearly destroyed by Armstrong, then being threatened with blackmail by Landis' lawyer over childhood sex abuse, then it's not hard to see how the LeMonds have been radicalised.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Given the shenanigans LeMond went through with Hinault, his career being prematurely ended by rampant EPO use, being nearly destroyed by Armstrong, then being threatened with blackmail by Landis' lawyer over childhood sex abuse, then it's not hard to see how the LeMonds have been radicalised.

Exactly. It is also worth watching some of the old footage of him riding in his pomp - it is much easier to ignore the fact that he might be a bit peculiar sometimes once you have revisited his racing days
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    Now, Greg has always been a hero of mine. He was there when I first got into cycling, is responsible for some of my favourite cycling moments ever etc.

Is it me or is this Eurosport gig not doing him any favours? When Sean K is on, I feel like he's in touch with what's going on but when Greg turns up I just want it to stop...

Is it just me?

It's horrible. He doesn't appear to be the full shilling.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    No it's not just you. He was my hero as a kid. I loved him. Just because he was good on a bike however it doesn't mean he'll be good off the bike in front of a camera or doing a media job, they would do better having an ex-pro who was good rather than going for the 'big name'. When Eurosport decided to put the segment of 'Lemond discussing something' on while they were descending the Mont du Chat (who does that? what a stupid editorial decision) and LRP and Martin crashed, Dutch Eurosport commentators literally shouted 'shut up Greg' in exasperation at the coverage. I know how they feel.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I was always a Fignon man.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    LeMond is often referred to as 'naive' in his racing days, which I guess is a kind way of saying 'not so smart' and it does seem time hasn't changed that.
    He also seems to try too hard to prove a point sometimes without thinking it through - like rubbishing marginal gains concept when it was just that which won him at least on of his tours.
    I do like him overall, but ....
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282

This ^^

What a rider, and often overlooked.

Took 5 stages on his way to winning his second Tour. Giro winner, MSR winner, a string of placings in other classics and semi-classics.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    SheffSimon wrote:

This ^^

What a rider, and often overlooked.

Took 5 stages on his way to winning his second Tour. Giro winner, MSR winner, a string of placings in other classics and semi-classics.

Have to admit I was on team Fignon in 89

Still love Greg the rider.

The pundit, you can keep
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • StillGoing
    What is Lemond going to do if the rumour of Quintana to Sky happens? (Quintana's father blames Moviestar for burn out and Landa will only join a team as lead rider.) It's going to confuse the hell out of him for sure. Continue bigging up Quintana or cast him as another devil in the evil Sky empire.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Is it really likely Quintana will go to Sky though? That would mean he is okay with not winning the Tour for at least the next 4-5 years. Seems unlikely.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • salsiccia1
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Is it really likely Quintana will go to Sky though? That would mean he is okay with not winning the Tour for at least the next 4-5 years. Seems unlikely.

He's been okay with it the last 3-4 years :wink:
  • above_the_cows
    ^BOOM!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Hahaha
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Not sure what Sky would want with Quintana except to turn him into another mountains domestique.
  • What an amazingly ghastly idea
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Not sure what Sky would want with Quintana except to turn him into another mountains domestique.
    Except theyd have to help him get back to the point where he can keep up in the mountains again.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    M.R.M. wrote:

probably 2 years. think froome would give up on 5/6. Is it me or should Quintana probably try for more stage wins, rather than go for GC? I mean yeah he’s won 2 tours already but it creates a different dynamic. Also with the other GC riders, and people like Dumoulin, he won’t stand much chance on a Time trial oriented course.
  • I just listened to the recent velonews podcast and they pick up Lemond speaking to other journalists yesterday. Initially questioning sky's ethics over the TUE investigation and use of tramadol but then goes on to insinuate (from what I can gather) that a motor may have gene used on Ventoux 2013? I'd agree with the first two points but the last one is a bit far fetched.
  • above_the_cows
    Greg Lemond likes to remember old times...

99da28096e0076a4b0fd54385b5fea35.jpg
  • Greg Lemond likes to remember old times...

99da28096e0076a4b0fd54385b5fea35.jpg

Lol :lol:
  • StillGoing
    I just listened to the recent velonews podcast and they pick up Lemond speaking to other journalists yesterday. Initially questioning sky's ethics over the TUE investigation and use of tramadol but then goes on to insinuate (from what I can gather) that a motor may have gene used on Ventoux 2013? I'd agree with the first two points but the last one is a bit far fetched.

Lemond is such a dick. Every time he opens his mouth, he makes me like Armstrong more and more.