Adventure touring / Drop Bar Mountain bike?

mikesmyth11
mikesmyth11 Posts: 15
edited October 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hello, posted a similar post on the road forum, wanted to see what the offroad side has to say as this type of bike falls right between road and mountain.

I am looking for a drop bar adventure touring bike with big tires and lots of gears for climbing hills! iam looking at the bombtrack beyond, salsa fargo, and a few other 29" adv touring bikes like the REI coop ADV series of bikes, i see there are a few offerings like a 27.5 drop bar mountain bike and plenty of 29ers to choose from. looking for the best bang for the buck around 1300 for a complete bike. most of what im seeing is about 1500-2000 so ill most likely have to spend more than id like but i wanted to see what people are using for a do EVERYTHING bike. From mild mountainbike trails and singletrack to road commuting (not looking to haul ass or anything mostly for fitness and getting to work)

bikes im interested in:
Salsa Fargo and marrakesh (seems like good deals and lots of tire options wide 29's or giant 27.5s)

Bombtrack Beyond (bit pricey)

Rei Coop ADV 3.1 (price is right but i dont like the bar end lever shifters)

anything else in my price range?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Beyond Bombtrack for visual of what im looking for.
BOMBTRACK_2016_PHOTO_COMPLETE_BIKES_BEYOND_SIDEVIEW_RAW_013.jpg

Comments

• I guess rigid mountain bike with drop bars doesn't draw too much interest these days haha
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Have a look at the Sonder Camino from ALPKIT. Even the top spec model comes in under your budget.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    Have a look at the Sonder Camino from ALPKIT. Even the top spec model comes in under your budget.

I like it, how do you guys think aluminum w/carbon fork would hold up compared to a steel frame for the offroad setions?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A mate rides a Salsa Fargo. He mostly uses it for commuting on a mix of roads and bridleways but also rides quite regularly in the dolomites on gravel and dirt tracks as well as some more rocky stuff. He really likes the bike. I've done a couple miles on it and it felt pretty good. Really nice on the sort of terrain which doesn't really justify a mountain bike but is a bit much for a cx bike without having to carefully pick lines.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Build it yourself - start making a hardtail 29er with a rigid fork, and then get road handlebars/hydraulic brakes/gear shifters
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    that Camino also comes in titanium but not sure how the price fits within your budget. You could also look at the Genesis Vagabond, which as an rrp of £999: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... e/vagabond and can also be had in a frame only form.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have thought about converting my 29er to drops. I think for a traditonal XC type MTB it would work fine. A rigid 29er is perfect. Yes build your self and a j tek shift mate will help unless you use a road rear mech.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • i finally got my hands on a 2017 salsa fargo in cream color the thing is amazing.